Shropshire Star

Fire crews remove vehicle roof and doors to free 'medically trapped' person after two-car crash

Firefighters removed the doors and roof of a vehicle to free a person who was medically trapped in a crash near the Shropshire border.

Last updated

Fire crews from Hereford & Worcester and Shropshire dashed to a two-car crash near the Jolly Frog at Leintwardine at 6.07am on Tuesday.

A spokesperson for the fire service said: "A Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service crew from Leintwardine Fire Station was called, along with Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service crews from Craven Arms, to a road traffic collision near the Jolly Frog, Leintwardine.

"The incident involved two vehicles, which were both on all four wheels, with one person medically trapped in one of the vehicles.

"Doors and roof of the vehicle were removed using cutting gear and small tools.

"The casualty was extricated from the vehicle and handed over to the care of the ambulance service. Police were also in attendance. The incident was marked as pending closure at 8.01am."

A spokesperson for Shropshire Fire & Rescue Service said: "At 6.07am on Tuesday, SFRS Fire Control received a call reporting that a road traffic collision had taken place in Leintwardine.

"One fire appliance was mobilised from Craven Arms. An Operations officer was in attendance."

They added that they gave assistance to the Hereford & Worcester crews and that their incident stop message was received at 9.25am.

A spokesperson for West Midlands Ambulance Service said: "We were called at 6.14am to a road traffic collision involving two cars on the A4113, Toddings Leintwardine.

"Three ambulances and a paramedic officer attended the scene.

"Upon arrival we found two men who were the drivers of the cars. The first man was extricated from the vehicle by the fire service, once extricated he was assessed and had sustained potentially serious injuries.

"He received treatment from ambulance staff at the scene.

"The second man was assessed by ambulance staff and had sustained injuries not believed to be serious. Both were conveyed to Royal Shrewsbury Hospital for further assessment.”

A spokesperson for West Mercia Police said: "Two people have been taken to hospital by ambulance.

"No arrests have been made."

The road was closed for the cars to be recovered.