Shropshire Star

A5 closed west of Shrewsbury following 'serious collision' - Diversion routes in place

Police, ambulance and fire crews were called out to a "serious collision" near Shrewsbury on Monday morning, causing a major road to be closed.

Last updated
The incident led to a road closure at Felton Butler Island and Holyhead Road, Montford, Shrewsbury.

Following a call at 3.11am, emergency services including police, ambulance and three fire appliances, rushed to the scene of the crash.

According to Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service, the incident involved one HGV and one saloon vehicle.


The reportedly led to A5 being closed between A458 and B4396, and at 3:51am, drivers were urged to find alternative routes with West Mercia Operations & Communications Centre stating on social media: "Road closure at Felton Butler Island and Holyhead Road, Montford, Shrewsbury.

"Police dealing with an RTC. Log 42-i-23012023. Please find an alternative route."

A fire service statement read: "At 03:11 on Monday, 23 January, 2023, SFRS Fire Control received a call reporting that a Road Traffic Collision had taken place in Shrewsbury .

"3 fire appliances including the Rescue Tender were mobilised from Baschurch, Shrewsbury and Wellington. An Operations officer was in attendance.

"Also at the scene of the incident were: the Land Ambulance Service and the Police," the statement continued.

"One HGV and one saloon vehicle involved in road traffic collision".

The incident officially came to an end at 3:37am but the emergency services were reportedly still dealing with it at around 7am.

National Highways: West Midlands Tweeted at 6:57am: "The A5 remains CLOSED in both directions between the A458 and B4396, near Shrewsbury, following a serious collision."

A commuter, travelling from his home near Chirk to work in Wolverhampton, said: "I have been sitting here for a long time and still not moved.

"I have been diverted in to a back road but have just been sitting here. It's not a great start to the week."

The road remained closed for around 16 hours, with National Highways announcing it had reopened shortly before 7.15pm.