Shropshire Star

Popular Shropshire radio presenter Vicki Archer took her own life, coroner concludes

Popular BBC Radio Shropshire presenter Vicki Archer left her show mid-way through and went home before taking her own life, a coroner has concluded.

Last updated
Vicki Archer

Miss Archer, 41, who was described as a wonderful mother, had worked for BBC Radio Shropshire for 20 years, and presented the drive time afternoon show with co-host Adam Green.

An inquest into her death at Shirehall today, heard how she left the show on August 6, mid-way through, and returned to her home in Monkmoor, Shrewsbury.

She was later discovered in the loft by her stepfather, Lee Holyoake, and was pronounced dead by a paramedic soon after arrival.

John Ellery , Coroner for Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin, concluded that the radio presenter had intended to take her own life, and gave a conclusion of suicide.

A statement from her family said she brought a smile to all those who knew her and revealed in the spring there will be a memorial celebration of her life.

It said: "We still cannot believe that Vicki’s not here. Her zest for life was infectious, she was a wonderful mother and daughter and her charm brought a smile to all those who knew her.

"She could light up a room. While we will always miss her we want to remember and celebrate everything that she achieved which is why in the spring we are planning a memorial celebration of her life.

"But in the meantime we want to thank everyone for their support and kindness helping us through our immeasurable loss.”

A statement was read out by coroner's officer Ceri Badham, from pathologist Dr Joanna Stafford, who carried out the post mortem.

She found alcohol in the body and some medication, and concluded the injuries were consistent with hanging.

Vicki Archer

A statement was also read out from Miss Archer's stepfather, who was present at the inquest.

He explained how he and his wife, Miss Archer's mother, Beryl, had visited her home at 1pm as she was getting ready for work, and said they would return later that day with a key and to fix her cooker.

At 5.50pm, Mr Holyoake went to Miss Archer's home, where he saw a blonde haired woman approach the front door.

He turned around and parked up, expecting to see the person stood at the door, however the door was not open and the key safe had been opened.

Mr Holyoake said: "I rang the door but got no reply from the person who entered. I didn't think it was Vicki as she was working."

He called his wife and they went to Radio Shropshire to drop off a key they had, however were informed she had emailed a member of staff stating she was upset and would be in work tomorrow.


Mr and Mrs Hoyloake became alarmed due to the two previous suicide attempts, and returned to the property and noticed her car was parked on a nearby street.

After getting a ladder and searching the property and garden, Mr Holyoake couldn't find Miss Archer.

He then opened the loft hatch, discovered his stepdaughter's body and called the emergency services.

He began CPR, with paramedics taking over on arrival, and Miss Archer was pronounced dead shortly after.

Mr Ellery said Miss Archer had suffered with depression and had twice attempted to take her own life, before recording a conclusion of suicide.

He added: "This is a tragic case for the family and our thoughts are and must be with her children."

Need help?

Help and advice for those having a mental health crisis is available from a number of agencies in Shropshire.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.