Mystery still surrounds death of Newport woman at Turkish resort

By Lisa O'Brien | Newport | News | Published:

The family of a Newport woman who was found dead in Turkey more than a year ago are still awaiting answers over the circumstances surrounding her death.


The body of Tracy Atesoglu was discovered on August 27 last year at a property in Turunc, Marmaris.

More than a year later, there are still questions surrounding how she died, despite the efforts of staff from Shropshire coroner's office and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

An inquest into her death was held at the Telford and Wrekin register office in Wellington on Tuesday when Coroner John Ellery concluded the 50-year-old's death was "drug related" and due to "unknown circumstances".

He told the inquest that there were no signs that Mrs Atesoglu had suffered any injuries.

It is understood that Mrs Atesoglu was living in Turkey at the time, after moving from an address in Stafford Road, Newport.

A post-mortem examination found she had died from drug poisoning.

Mr Ellery said efforts had been made to find out more information through the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Turkish police and Interpol, The International Criminal Police Organisation, but this had been unsuccessful.

The inquest heard that Mrs Atesoglu, a director, could have died up to two days before she was found.


Mr Ellery told the inquest: "We know she probably died some time on or after August 25.

"We know it was from drug poisoning.

"We don't know in what circumstances. "We don't know if it was accidental, deliberate or administered by someone else."

Maprotiline, a drug used to treat depression, and amitriptyline, a medicine used to treat a number of mental illnesses, were found in her system.


The post-mortem examination gave the cause of death as maprotiline, amitriptyline and morphine intoxication.

Mr Ellery said Mrs Atesoglu previously had a history of depression but in more recent times there had been no concerns over her mental health.

He said she went on holiday in October 2015 and got married.

She was found dead in the bedroom of a property in Turunc but the exact location of where Mrs Atesoglu was living at the time has not been passed to the coroner's office.

The inquest was told that Mrs Atesoglu's son had also been unable to attain any more information surrounding the circumstances of her death.

Mr Ellery reached the conclusion that it had been a "drug related death in unknown circumstances".

Lisa O'Brien

By Lisa O'Brien
Senior Reporter - @lisaobrien_Star

Senior reporter based at Shropshire Star's head office in Ketley. Covering the Telford area.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top stories


More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News