Frustration as Donnington flooding work stalls

By Deborah Hardiman | Donnington | News | Published:

Major drainage work that will cost tens of thousands of pounds to stop a main road flooding has been delayed for a rethink of the scheme.

Councillor Liz Clare

Heavy rainfall regularly results in water flowing down Wellington Road in Donnington.

Motorists and householders have been frustrated by the issue for years but Severn Trent Ltd, which is behind the plans, has announced a rethink of the scheme. The problem is caused by ochre in the public sewer network, which is associated with mine water flows in the area.

Work to divert the drainage pipes was expected to start before the end of this year but Severn Trent said its engineers were still planning the scheme although no dates had been set.

Following a flooding incident last week, drivers in the area took to social media to call for action due to concerns over road safety.

Borough councillors Liz Clare and Clive Mason, who represent the area, say they have been working in partnership with the water firm and borough council to get the programme carried out after years of complaints and had been expecting the digging to get under way soon.

But now Donnington and Muxton Parish Council has been told by the company its engineering team is preparing a fresh strategy. Parish clerk Ralph Morgan said: “It has been an issue for many years.

“I have had some information from the water company to say the sewerage system is being updated and a new model is due to be prepared.

“They have a meeting set for tomorrow November 30 regarding the scheme.


“The parish council will be discussing the situation at its next meeting on December 13.”

Councillor Clare said the scheme had been included in the council’s our capital programme this year and Severn Trent met with borough councillors and the parish council to discuss it. “It is time the work was started. It’s not that we haven’t been trying to get it done,” she said. Severn Trent spokesman Peter Edney said: “We’re continuing to carefully plan this project to make sure when we begin we can solve the flooding issue permanently.

“We’re working closely with Telford & Wrekin Council on this and we’ll provide more details about the scheme as soon as we can.”

Contract firm Amey is due to carry out the work. Options previously considered for the flood alleviation scheme included replacing deep pipes beneath Wrekin Drive, or running new pipes under the Park Road and Winifred Drive areas.


Councillor Mason added: “We are all aware of the problem which has affected this community for a long time.

“The work is going to be a big job and it is going to take a long time to complete.”

When the road was flooded earlier this month, Ria Gaffney, spokeswoman for Severn Trent, said: “After investigating the flooding on Wellington Road, we’ve found it’s linked to an ongoing problem in Donnington that both Severn Trent and Telford & Wrekin Council are aware of.

“With support from the council, we’re in the process of starting work to address the flooding and, in the meantime, we’ll be looking at ways to prevent further issues.

“We’re really sorry for any inconvenience caused, and our priority is to work together with the Council to resolve the flooding problems in Donnington.”

Deborah Hardiman

By Deborah Hardiman

Senior reporter for the Shropshire Star based out of the head office in Ketley. Covering the Telford area.


Top stories


More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News