Shropshire Star

Boxing club speaks of 'mindless destruction and vandalism' during break in

A Shrewsbury boxing club has suffered "mindless destruction and vandalism" in a break in at its gym.

Last updated

Shrewsbury School of Boxing at the Grange School on Mount Pleasant Road had its official called to the gym to find graffiti on the walls, a TV smashed and training aids vandalised.

In a post on its Facebook page the club said in a statement: "An unpleasant start to the new year for Shrewsbury School of Boxing, a call late last night to the gym, a break-in."

They said kit was strewn all over, parts of the ceiling were destroyed and boxers' kit was missing with a kit bag stolen along with admin material.

They added that they found "graffiti on walls, training aids vandalised, a TV smashed.

Two coaches and the club secretary went in on Sunday morning and afternoon after the police had been in.

They said it had been "mindless destruction and vandalism to a club ran by volunteers, disgusted. Stealing/vandalising from a community club."

There is some more cleaning and repairs to be made, they said, but will be back training as normal Tuesday.

Firefighters were scrambled to the boxing club in Shrewsbury where the fire alarms were sounding on Saturday evening.

When they arrived at the Shrewsbury School of Boxing Shrewsbury at the Old Grange School on Mount Pleasant Road, in the county town they found that the alarm had been set off by "unlawful entry to the premises."

Fire fighters from Shrewsbury were joined by officers from West Mercia Police at the scene at just after 6pm.

A spokesperson for Shropshire Fire & Rescue Service said: "At 18:01 on Saturday SFRS Fire Control received a call reporting an incident classified as automatic fire alarm in Shrewsbury.

"One fire appliance was mobilised from Shrewsbury. Also at the scene of the incident were the police.

"This incident was a false alarm due to unlawful entry to premises", they added.

Crews sent their incident stop message after checking everything was safe.