Shropshire Star

Doctor stands by decisions ahead of Shrewsbury boy's death

A doctor involved in the case of a teenager who was struck by a train near Shrewsbury told an inquest she was standing by decisions taken over his appointments.

Last updated
Harlescott Level Crossing. Photo: Google StreetView.

Jeff David Antwis died on January 30 after he was hit at Shrewsbury’s Harlescott Level Crossing shortly after 5.30am. The 14-year-old was taken to hospital, where he later died from his injuries.

The teenager’s family raised concerns about his mental health in the months prior to the incident and he had revealed he had attempted to take his own life several times.

He received two initial assessment appointments from Shropshire Community Health NHS Trust’s Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS), with the second on January 25 to discuss their concerns and possible mental health treatment for him.

Dr Ini Okonna, of CAMHS, told the hearing that she had previously seen Jeff in 2014. She said due to demand on the service young people may have to wait between four and six weeks for an appointment to see a doctor.

She said that she had read his health records and received an email from mental health nurse Melanie Archer after her second meeting with him in January this year which explained that his mother was requesting medication for him due to his situation.

Dr Okonna told the inquest at Shirehall, in Shrewsbury, that she stood by her decision to offer him a routine appointment on March 17, which would mean a seven-week wait.

She said: “Jeff was willing to engage. He was willing to come back to see Melanie again. When we were doing assessments Jeff did not indicate that he was planning to do something immediately. I also took into consideration that mom was requesting medication which is why the appointment was offered.

“Jeff had support. There was no indication that he was at immediate risk. I think based on the information that was provided to our team and to Melanie, I feel that the appropriate support was given.”

Miss Archer said that the teenager’s mood score had increased in the time that she had met him.

The inquest continues.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.