Shropshire Star

Driver escapes as lorry blazes outside Shrewsbury railway station

A lorry was engulfed in flames outside Shrewsbury railway station.

Last updated
The blazing lorry. Photo: Lee Vaughan.

The fire involving the large goods vehicle began on Monday shortly before 8.30pm.

Fire officials have confirmed it began due to an electrical fault in the driver's cab.

The fire involved the cab of the vehicle, and crews used breathing apparatus, hose reel jets and a covering jet to extinguish the fire.

The blazing lorry. Photo: Lee Vaughan.

Two Shropshire Fire and Rescue crews from Shrewsbury attended, along with operations and fire investigation officers.

No one is believed to have been hurt in the fire, and fire crews took around 30 minutes to put the blaze out.

Spokesman for the fire service, Malcolm Stevenson said: "A fire investigations officer has confirmed the source of the fire was an electrical fault behind the drivers seat in the cab.

"The driver got out of the cab and did not suffer any injuries.

"The fire was put out and the vehicle was eventually recovered."