Shropshire Star

Hospital not to blame for Oswestry man's death, says coroner

A corner said he can 'see no criticism' of a hospital over its care of an Oswestry man who died only hours after he left without waiting for treatment.


Guy Evans, of St Martins,died on October 9, 2016, after falling over a number of times on a night out.

However, because of concerns raised by the 25 year old's family, Shropshire Coroner John Ellery agreed to adjourn the inquest for a second time to call a witness from Wrexham Maelor Hospital to give evidence.

Mr Evans, who has been described by friends as the life and soul of the party, had initially been with his friend Bobby Pete on the evening that he died.

The pair had been part of a stag party which was taking part in the Tanat Valley Run – a bus which follows a route stopping at a number of pubs along the way.

The second hearing of the inquest, which was held at Shirehall, Shrewsbury, heard that an ambulance was called to the Railway Inn, Penybontfawr, at about 6.37pm on October 8 because Mr Evans had fallen and banged his head.

Mr Ellery said that by that point Mr Evans was reported to have drunk about four to five pints of beer, as well as several shots of vodka and Red Bull.

Both Mr Evans and his friend were taken to Wrexham Maelor Hospital where he was assessed, but left without receiving treatment.

He was described as laughing and joking while he was at the hospital.

Mr Evans later met up with other friends and went drinking in Oswestry, having initially planned to go home.

The inquest was told that he suffered two more falls at about 2.30am when he was visiting USA Fried Chicken Experience on Willow Street, Oswestry.

He was taken to Royal Shrewsbury Hospital where he died.

The coroner had adjourned the inquest from January to investigate concerns from Mr Evans' family over why he had not been given treatment at Wrexham.

In written submissions to the coroner, staff at the hospital indicated that Mr Evans had been assessed, but he had decided to leave without receiving any treatment.

Mr Ellery said: "I see no criticism of Wrexham Maelor."

The coroner also reiterated the findings of the post-mortem, carried out by Dr Cerys Burrows, which concluded that it was not possible to say which fall had caused the fatal injury.

He said: "It cannot be said it was that fall or the later fall which led to his death."

The inquest was adjourned until March when a representative of Wrexham Maelor Hospital will be asked to attend.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.