Shropshire Star

Invasion pair face life bans

Two men arrested at AFC Telford United after running on to the pitch and confronting an opposition goalscorer will be banned from the New Bucks Head for life. Two men arrested at AFC Telford United after running on to the pitch and confronting an opposition goalscorer will be banned from the New Bucks Head for life, it emerged today. The pair invaded the pitch when Burscough, who won 2-1, scored their second goal during Saturday's promotion showdown. Thousands of fans were at the game, described as the biggest in the club's history. Read the full story in today's Shropshire Star 

Published

Two men arrested at AFC Telford United after running on to the pitch and confronting an opposition goalscorer will be banned from the New Bucks Head for life, it emerged today.

The pair invaded the pitch when Burscough, who won 2-1, scored their second goal during Saturday's promotion showdown.

Thousands of fans were at the game, described as the biggest in the club's history.

A win would have seen AFC Telford crowned UniBond League champions, but they will now have to look at promotion through the play-offs and face Marine tomorrow night.

Police confirmed two people had been arrested for football-related offences and released on police bail to return in June.

The incident follows one last month when a supporter ran up to a linesman during a game against Kendal Town and tried to grab his flag.

AFC Telford implemented safety measures, including fan segregation to try to prevent future problems following last month's incident but this did not stop Saturday's pitch invasion.

Telford chairman Lee Carter today said the pitch invaders would be banned for life as soon as their details were confirmed by the police.

"They've been arrested and may be charged, and I'd quite happily turn up at their court hearing and cheer when they get sent down. They're scumbags," he said.