Shropshire Star

Halfway House cafe murder probe: Devastated family pay tribute to owner 'Mr B'

The devastated family of the man found dead at a roadside diner near Shrewsbury have paid tribute to him.

Last updated
Satnam Singh Blugher

Satnam Singh Blugher was found by his son at Tony's Diner, a business he had run for more than 15 years, at about 4.40pm on June 26.

Paramedics were called to the diner, which sits on the A458 at Halfway House, and the 67-year-old was found to have serious injuries to his head and torso. He was pronounced dead at the scene and police launched a murder investigation.

The diner, which is part of a building that is attached to a shop and post office, had been closed at the time Mr Blugher's body was found.

His family said today: "Our family and the community are devastated and shaken by the events that have occurred. In any normal circumstance we can eventually accept that life goes on but in this instance it is hard to accept.

Police at the scene

"Our dad was a big Man United fan and family was everything to him. He was always there for them to do whatever he could. A loving dad and grandfather that would do anything for his grandchildren to bring a smile to their face.

"Dad had the diner over 15 years and had established a very good relationship with the local community and customers from afar.

"Known to the community as 'Mr B' or Tony (Satnam Singh Blugher) everyone remembers the cheerful loudness of his greetings and the long handshakes."

A man appeared at Stafford Crown Court on Monday charged with Mr Blugher's murder.

Belkar Singh, 58, of Booth Street, Birmingham spoke through an interpreter to confirm his name. He was remanded into custody and will next appear on September 15 when he will be asked to enter a plea.

Catherine Ainsworth from West Mercia Police said: "The family have also asked for privacy to mourn and grieve at this difficult time."

The inquest into the death of Mr Blugher was opened and adjourned at a hearing at the Shirehall in Shrewsbury today.

John Ellery, senior coroner for Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin said that the inquest would be suspended to await the outcome of the Crown Prosecution Service proceedings.

He said that the restaurant owner was found by his son Hary in a room at the rear of the premises at 4.40pm on June 26. He was confirmed dead a short time later.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.