Shropshire Star

Jobcentre evacuated in Telford due to fire caused by burned food

A Shropshire Jobcentre had to be evacuated after a small fire caused by burned food.

Last updated
Job seekers face a "postcode lottery" of sanctions

The Jobcentre Plus in Southwater Way, Telford had to be cleared of staff and job seekers at around 10am on Friday when there were reports of smoke.

Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) said they sent two fire engines from Telford Central at around 10.06am.

A spokesperson for SFRS said: "The incident involved a small amount of smoke caused by burned food. No fire service equipment was used."

The incident was declared over at 10.16am when the Jobcentre resumed its normal business.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.