Shropshire Star

Homes and businesses flooded as Shropshire ravaged by storms for second day running

Storms returned to Shropshire with a vengeance, with houses, businesses and roads devastated by flash flooding, torrential rain and lightning strikes.

Last updated
A fallen tree next to Wellington Road in Newport on Thursday morning

Shropshire's firefighters responded to over 100 calls in a two-hour period last night, as a second consecutive night of storms followed one of the county's hottest days of the year.

Kimmy Wright took this image in Coniston Drive, Priorslee, Telford

After another humid day, severe rain started battering most of the county at around 7.30pm with water soon overwhelming drains and covering many roads including the M54 and A41.

Houses and business across Shrewsbury, Telford and south Shropshire were left badly flooded as water came in through ceilings and doors during the deluge, while in Ironbridge a wall collapsed next to Merrythought Teddy Bear Shop.

Flooding in Sambrook, near Newport. Photo: Market Drayton Fire
A wall collapsed in Ironbridge during the storms

Two elderly women were rescued from a car stuck in the small village of Sambrook, near Newport, where several houses were damaged by flood water.

At 9.45pm, firefighters from Market Drayton were sent to the village to help fight the floods. They were met with water at depths of up to two feet and two women who were stranded in a vehicle.

They were able to carry the women to safety before trying to pump the flood water.

In the Regent Street area of Wellington. Photo: Hamer Leisure
Flooding in Sambrook, near Newport. Photo: Market Drayton Fire

A statement from the firefighters at Market Drayton said: "Due to the number of properties affected and the large area covered by flood water, the incident commander requested the attendance of the 4x4 incident support unit from Market Drayton, with additional personnel and pumping capabilities.

"After approximately an hour and a half of pumping, the crews managed to reduce the amount of water enough to allow the local drainage system to cope with the water.

"We would like to wish the home owners whose properties have been damaged by the flood water a speedy recovery from their ordeal."

Meanwhile pub team said they were "gutted" after having to shut up shop until further notice, only days after reopening for business after the coronavirus lockdown.

The Beacon in Wellington suffered a major leak in the roof which caused serious damage throughout the building and the Three Tun's Brewery down in Bishop's Castle was also affected.

This eerie shot of lightning above Trinity Church, Telford, in Trench, was submitted by local videographer/photographer Andrew Galloway. Photo: Andrew Galloway

Rain began to pour through the roof of the Asda superstore in Donnington Wood, sending ceiling tiles clattering to the floor. The shop remains out of action today as a result, while in Ketley several bungalows were flooded.

A tree fell in Newport and was blocking half of Newcastle Road this morning. Emergency services are aware and the town's safer neighbourhood team urged motorists to be careful.

Some roads became rivers and cars were stranded, including at the busy Trench Lock interchange and throughout Telford. The M54 was shut between junctions 6 and 7 after a crash during the worst of the downpour.

Cars could be seen stuck in the water at Ketley, Lawley and Wellington, and Mount Pleasant Road in Shrewsbury was also badly flooded.

Some Shrewsbury residents' homes were left flooded as a result.

A closed path next to the collapsed wall in Ironbridge
Ashley Wilding of Shifnal took this photo

Claire Organ said: "The water started rising very quickly and within about 10 minutes it had flooded the patio and garage about 6 ins deep.

"It was like a river running down the road and the drains just couldn't cope. We spent nearly two hours trying to move the water out of the garage so it didn't come into the house.

"It was pushing up through the storm drain on the driveway."

A stranded car in Ketley. Photo: Hamer Leisure

Simon Hardiman of the Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service said that operators dealt with more than 100 calls in two hours. He said that they included felled trees, sinkholes, flooded roads and structural damage to buildings.

Even Wellington Fire Station was affected.

A house in Hayes Close, Oswestry, was also damaged by a lightning strike.

Storms hit Shropshire: