Shropshire Star

Paramedics treat casualty after carbon monoxide detector triggered in Ludlow home

Paramedics treated a casualty after a carbon monoxide detector activated at a home in Ludlow.

Last updated
FILE PICTURE - Stock picture of a West Midlands Ambulance responding to an emergency 999 call. A 30-stone man was winched from a flat window by firefighters using specialist equipment so he could be taken to hospital - because he was too fat to carry. See NTI story NTIFAT. West Midlands Fire Service were called by paramedics who attended the property in Rowley Regis, West Mids., at 10.45am on Wednesday (24/9). Ambulance crews had been unable to lift the man to take him for treatment because of his hefty bulk after he collapsed at home. Firefighters then used a hydraulic lift platform to reach the window of the first floor flat, which they then removed using cutting equipment usually reserved for car crashes. The clinically obese patient was lifted to safety onto the crane in an operation lasting over TWO HOURS. A spokeswoman for West Midlands Ambulance Service said they finally managed to take the man to Russells Hall Hospital, in Dudley, at 2.30pm..

The incident happened in Stoke Street today.

A Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "At 1.23pm on Thursday, April 25, SFRS Fire Control received a call reporting an incident in Ludlow.

"Carbon monoxide detector activated within property. Full inspection of property and log burner carried out. Log burner had not been used since being decommissioned by chimney sweep. Crews used a thermal imaging camera to check for temperatures. Casualty left in care of ambulance."

One fire engine was sent to the scene from Ludlow.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: "We were called to an incident at a private address on Stoke Street at 11.50am, one ambulance attended. On arrival we discovered one patient, a woman, who was assessed and discharged at the scene."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.