A judge has lifted an order protecting the identity of a 14-year-old gunman convicted of murder after shooting another teenager during a gang attack in Birmingham.
Yussuf Mustapha, from Birmingham, is facing a mandatory life sentence alongside three other teenagers convicted earlier this month of murdering 15-year-old Keon Lincoln near his home in Handsworth, Birmingham.
Jurors also convicted a fifth defendant of manslaughter after hearing how Keon was stabbed and shot in the stomach in Linwood Road, and later died at Birmingham Children’s Hospital.
A five-week trial was told Keon suffered eight sharp force injuries and a fatal injury to his abdomen from one of two gunshots fired at about 3.35pm on January 21.
Mustapha, who was born in Italy and was said to be doing well at the same secondary school as Keon, was ordered to be named by a judge ahead of a sentencing hearing on Monday.
Lifting a previous court order, Lord Justice William Davis said the measure had represented a “substantial restriction” on the press’s ability to report on the case.
As well as ruling that it was in the public interest to name Mustapha, the judge said that a 16-year-old youth convicted of murder should be named.
But the judge stayed the lifting of the order on the 16-year-old, pending the outcome of an appeal against his conviction.
Neither youth's address can be reported, the judge said.
QCs acting for both youths had argued against an application lodged by PA Media for the court to lift the order.
Mustapha's co-defendants Tahjgeem Breakenridge, 18, and Michael Ugochukwu, 18, were both sentenced to life for murder with a minimum term of 19 years.
A 16-year-old Walsall youth also convicted of Keon's murder, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was ordered to be detained at Her Majesty's Pleasure and to serve at least 17 years.
Kieron Donaldson, 19, was sentenced to a 12-year custodial term for Keon's manslaughter, having supplied weapons to those involved in the killing.
Donaldson was told he will be entitled to release after serving two-thirds of the sentence.
Passing sentence, Lord Justice William Davis said the murder of 15-year-old Keon near his home in January this year had been "carefully planned and executed" using a revolver and a car stolen for use in the killing.
"It's quite clear that all who came from the car were party to the use of the gun," the judge said.