Match report: Airbus UK Broughton 0 - 2 The New Saints

Oswestry | Sport | Published:

Holders The New Saints rewrote the record books as they completed another trophy laden season by lifting the Welsh Cup with victory over Airbus UK in the final at Wrexham's Glyndwr University Stadium.

Goals in each half from Ryan Brobbel and Scott Quigley saw the Saints land the trophy for a third successive season, while in the process they also became the first Welsh Premier side to make it back-to-back trebles.

Victory for the Saints means that third placed Llandudno automatically qualify for Europe in their first season in the league, while Airbus now visit Newtown in the play-off semi-finals on Saturday for the remaining Europa League spot.

TNS were slow to get into their stride in the first half, often finding themselves stifled against well organised opponents who stuck to a game plan.

Airbus threatened on 15 minutes when James Murphy slipped a pass to Tony Gray in the left of the box, the striker's cross was parried by keeper Paul Harrison but Murphy could only put the loose ball wide from an angle.

Striker Chris Budrys then poked a first time shot over the bar from 10 yards, and headed another just wide of the far post from a Lee Owens free kick.

From enjoying plenty of the game in the first half hour, the Wingmakers were stung when man-of-the match Brobbel carved an interval lead for the holders.

Before then, TNS' early chances came from distance in a scrappy first half, with Quigley drilling a low shot wide from the edge of the box while Brobbel lashed a 20-yarder over after winger Adrian Cieslewicz had squared.

But the Oswestry high fliers got their noses in front on 33 minutes with their first real opportunity when Brobbel turned smartly to fire in low from eight yards after Aeron Edwards had headed on a corner.


That was the first goal that Airbus had conceded in this year's competition following four previous shut-outs, and gave the Saints a timely boost.

Left back Chris Marriott almost added second in another raid when his low drive towards goal was cleared by Mike Pearson as the Saints perked up.

After the interval, Airbus skipper Ian Kearney headed over from a corner on 49 minutes, but his side were up against it once Quigley doubled the margin moments later.

The lively Cieslewicz broke along the right, cut in before seeing his shot deflected into the path for Quigley who, having scored a hat-trick in the semi-final, gleefully smashed home his shot to continue his fine run of scoring in the competition.


With their two-goal cushion, the Saints went from strength to strength as they underlined their credentials with an increasingly assured performance.

They threatened on the break with their opponents chasing the game, with Cieslewicz and Quigley both bringing smart saves from keeper James Coates after finding room on the flanks.

Airbus made changes and kept going to the final whistle, with Kearney's low 14-yard strike clutched by keeper Paul Harrison at the right post after the Saints had failed to clear.

Kearney was again unable to get a shot away in a goalmouth scramble, while at the other end TNS went close to a third when Cieslewicz lobbed over the bar when well placed, and Quigley was also off target after a strong run into the box from Brobbel who appeared to be brought down in the box.

Substitute Mike Wlde went close to a late third when putting a right wing cross from Cieslewicz over the bar from close range,

The Wingmakers almost got a consolation when Budrys had a shot cleared off the line, while sub Jordan Barrow shot over from 16 yards, but by then the Saints already had one hand on the trophy.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top stories


More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News