Coronavirus updates: First Shrewsbury and Wrexham deaths confirmed
Read the latest coronavirus updates from across the region, the UK and abroad as they unfolded on Tuesday
A resident of a Shrewsbury care home has died after contracting coronavirus while the first Covid-19 death in Wales has been confirmed at Wrexham Maelor Hospital
Boris Johnson is set to host the first of a series of daily press conferences to update the public on coronavirus after he chairs an emergency Cobra committee meeting this afternoon.
Meanwhile there is confusion over exactly what elderly people will be asked to do going forward, after Health Secretary Matt Hancock said on Sunday they will be asked to stay at home for a very long time.
More coronavirus stories:
- Shrewsbury pensioner dies after coronavirus diagnosis
- Wrexham coronavirus patient dies
- University Centre Shrewsbury shuts over coronavirus
- UK coronavirus deaths rise to 35 as elderly face four months of self-isolation
- Visitors asked to stop seeing loved ones at Shropshire care homes
- Shropshire school closes for deep clean as strict new powers planned
The UK death toll reached 35 on Sunday.
Over in the US, New York City and Los Angeles shut down bars, restaurants and other public place, while schools in New York city have been closed down.
Follow the latest updates below.
- First coronavirus deaths confirmed in Shrewsbury and Wrexham.
- Hodnet Primary School and University Centre Shrewsbury shut over fears students have caught Covid-19.
- The UK death toll rose to 35 on Sunday as 14 more coronavirus patients were confirmed to have died.
- Latest local test figures expected this afternoon although true figure likely to be far higher due to new advice to self-isolate.
- The Prime Minister or a ‘senior’ minister will host a televised briefing each day while being joined by a revolving cast of medical and scientific experts, Downing Street has said.
- The Foreign and Commonwealth Office is advising against all but essential travel to 35 countries including China and the US.
- New York City and Los Angeles shut down bars, restaurants and other public places.
See the latest updates as they unfolded
This page is no longer being updated
'Please stay away': Tourists asked to reconsider day trips as Shropshire beauty spot overwhelmed again
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.