Man arrested in major armed police operation after Telford stabbing

By Rory Smith | Dawley | Crime | Published:

Police and paramedics were back at King Street twice last night for two unrelated incidents.

Armed police were in Telford last night

A man has been arrested during a major armed police operation in connection with a stabbing in Telford.

Two people were taken to hospital after the raid in King Street, Dawley, last night where a 31-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of robbery.

The suspect, from Telford, remained in police custody this morning, West Mercia Police confirmed.

Dog handlers, armed officers and ambulances were all in the area from around 10pm - 14 hours after the street was first closed in the aftermath of the stabbing.

West Midlands Ambulance Service confirmed it sent two ambulances to "a medical emergency at a private property" after being called by police at 10.20pm.

A man and a woman were taken to Princess Royal Hospital but the extent of their injuries is not yet known.

Police at the scene. Photo: Ian Highway

A man in his late teens suffered head injuries and a suspected stab wound to his arm during the attack, which happened at around 8.15am near Dawley Social Club.


It is not known how many people were involved in attacking the victim.

Detective Sergeant Andrew Dawson said yesterday: "This was a nasty incident which we realise will prove particularly alarming to the local community.

"I would urge anyone who may have witnessed the incident, saw anything suspicious in the area at the time of the incident or has any dash-cam footage of the incident or of the offenders fleeing the scene, to please get in touch as soon as possible."

Separate assault


Meanwhile two more people from the same street suffered suspected stab wounds during what is being treated as an an unrelated and isolated incident later yesterday evening.

A West Mercia Police spokesman said: "Police were called at around 11:50pm yesterday evening to reports of an incident at an address on King Street in Dawley.

"A man in his 40s and a woman in her 20s were taken to hospital with suspected stab wounds. Their injuries are not believed to life-threatening.

"It is currently being treated as an isolated incident with no wider threat to the public."

The injured man and woman were taken to Princess Royal Hospital by ambulance.

Rory Smith

By Rory Smith
Reporter - @rorysmith_star

Senior reporter based at the Shropshire Star's head office in Ketley, Telford.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top stories


More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News