Police investigate as man, 30, killed in Telford motorbike crash

By Rob Smith | Telford | News | Published:

Police are investigating a motorbike crash in Telford which left a 30-year-old man dead.

An air ambulance landed on the A442 but the man died at the scene. Photo: @Helistig

West Mercia Police is investigating the crash on the A442 and the incident has also been referred to the police watchdog because a police traffic vehicle was nearby at the time.

The man was killed when his motorbike hit a barrier on the A442 Brockton Way’s northbound slip road with the A4169 on Monday, police said.

An air ambulance was called after the crash happened near Halesfield and Brookside at around 1.40pm but the man was pronounced dead at the scene.

A police statement said the incident was being referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) as is standard procedure when a police vehicle is near the scene of a crash.

An IOPC spokesperson said: “We have begun an investigation into police actions prior to the death of a motorcyclist on the A442 in Telford yesterday.

"We understand the 30 year-old man riding the motorcycle collided with a barrier at around 1.40pm soon after passing a marked police traffic vehicle which was at a layby.

"After being notified by West Mercia Police yesterday afternoon we sent investigators to the scene and the police post-incident procedure to begin our enquiries.”

Chief Superintendent Tom Harding, of West Mercia Police, said: “Our thoughts are with the man’s family and friends at this difficult time.


“An investigation is underway to establish the circumstances of the collision.

“Due to the proximity of a police vehicle at the time of the collision the matter has been referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct.”

Yesterday, West Midlands Ambulance Service spokeswoman Jordan Eggington said: “We sent the Midlands Air Ambulance from Cosford with a BASICS doctor onboard, a land ambulance and paramedic officer to the scene.

“Upon arrival, crews found one man, who was the motorcyclist, in a critical condition.

“Unfortunately, it quickly became clear nothing could be done to save him and he was confirmed dead at the scene.”

Rob Smith

By Rob Smith

Senior reporter for the Shropshire Star based at Ketley in Telford.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top stories


More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News