Shrewsbury stabbings: Station car park still closed as two suspects released

By Harry Leather | Shrewsbury | Crime | Published:

Four men remain in custody after a double stabbing outside the Buttermarket nightclub.

Police cars at the entrance to the Howards Bank Car Park on Tuesday

The main Shrewsbury Railway Station car park remains closed today as police continue to investigate a double stabbing.

The Howards Bank Car Park behind the station has been sealed off since two men were stabbed in the early hours of New Year's Day.

The injured men, aged 21 and 18, were both rushed to hospital in the wake of the attacks, with the older victim's condition described as 'serious but stable'.

One of the men was stabbed next to the Buttermarket
A police officer searches the car park on Tuesday

One of the men was stabbed outside the Buttermarket nightclub at around 3.20am, before the second was stabbed in the car park next door.

Several police vehicles were today parked at the entrance to the car park, directly next to the Buttermarket and opposite the train station, while officers continued to search the area.


The 190-space NCP car park is the official Arriva Trains Wales car park for the station and means workers and commuters were left with nowhere to park on Tuesday morning.

Detective Inspector Scott Harris, from West Mercia Police, said: "We have closed Howards Bank Car Park while investigations continue into disturbances near to the Buttermarket and the car park yesterday and it will remain closed for some time today.

"We thank the public for their patience and we hope people understand the need to carry out a thorough investigation."

The scene on Hereford Road, where two men were stabbed late on New Year's Day


The early-hours attacks were the beginning of a violent 24 hours in Shropshire, which saw three more men stabbed before New Year's Day was over.

A 51-year-old man was seriously injured after a stabbing in Telford at around 3pm, while two men were stabbed on the street in Shrewsbury at around 11pm.

A 50-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of wounding after the Telford incident, while a man in his 50s was arrested at the scene in Hereford Road, Shrewsbury, on suspicion of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Anyone with information regarding any of the stabbings should contact police on 101.

Harry Leather

By Harry Leather
Digital Editor - @hleather_star

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top stories


More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News