Notification Settings

Subscribe to one or all notification sources from this one place.


Subscribe to our newsletter to get the day's top stories sent directly to you.

Telford 2 York City 1 - Report and pictures

AFC Telford United left it late again as Steph Morley's 92nd minute free kick handed them all three points against in form York City.

The Bucks were without a win since since early September, and it looked as if they were in for more home disappointment when Mcaualey Langstaff headed the visitors in front in the first period.

The Bucks dominated possession in the first half without creating any clear cut chances.

The second period was a stark contrast, as the Bucks went close on multiple occasions before the York defence finally cracked when Daryl Knights lashed home from the edge of the box 17 minutes from time.

Then two minutes into added time, the impressive Steph Morley stepped up to curl a free kick into the top corner to lift the Bucks up the table and three points off second place.

After disappointment on the road at Curzon Ashton last week Gavin Cowan opted to ring five changes to his side, with the decision to include goalkeeper Andy Wycherley the most surprising one.

The stopper, signed from The New Saints in the summer has watched from the side with on loan Max Bramley dominating the number one jersey so far this campaign.

He was given the nod with Amari Morgan-Smith, Jon Royle and Henry Cowans also coming into the line-up in place of last week's scorer Andre Brown, Ross White and James McQuilkin.

Arguably the most important change was the inclusion of top marksman Daniel Udoh, who returned from injury to replace the suspended John McAtee.

Before the game a minutes silence was observed for long serving Bucks fans Keith Turner, who died in the week, just days after he had attended the defeat at Curzon Ashton.

It was then down to the action, with the inform Minstermen enjoying a couple of early moves down the flanks that came to nothing.

The Bucks were dealt a blow on seven minutes, as centre back Zak Lily picked up an injury in a tackle with York frontman Jordan Burrow.

He attempted to continue, but went down just moments after a re-start with Ross White replacing him.

Going forward Telford were looking dangerous, with Morgan Smith and Udoh's running in behind being backed up well by Daryl Knights.

Knights had an effort blocked, before one of the front men snatched at the first real chance of the game.

Cowans' long throw was flicked on, and Morgan-Smith, who was unmarked rose to meet the ball but he could only head high over the cross bar.

The hosts were getting a lot of joy down the left, with Steph Morley's dangerous crosses putting pressure on the York rear guard, much like they did in the previous home game against Chorley.

Udoh had a shot blocked from the edge of the box after a direct ball forward by Theo Streete, before the front man won a free kick on the left side, near to the byline.

The dangerous left boot of Morley whipped it towards the back post but no one was there to meet it and it was turned behind.

Goalkeeper Adam Bartlett caught the resulting corner, and set York on a move that would see them take the lead against the run of play.

He found Nathan Dyer, who glided down the right flank before passing inside to the experienced Russ Penn.

His through ball caught White cold, and was picked up by Alex Harris who a cross back from the byline into the path of Langstaff who guided a header into the corner.

The Bucks had been on top up to that point, but the visitors had punished them for failing to turn their pressure into clear cut chances.

It was Sam Collins' charges first chance of the game and they showed the killer instinct that Cowan's men couldn't find in the final third in the opening 45 minutes.

Harris saw a deflected shot saved by Wycherley at the start of the second period, before another wicked Morley cross couldn't find a Telford forward.

Morgan-Smith tumbled in the box moments later with referee Lewis Smith waving away some tame penalty shouts from behind the goal.

The Bucks went close to a leveller just before the hour mark as Morley saw a low driven shot from inside the box deflected behind, after York failed to clear Udoh's low cross from the left.

The home side were beginning to build up ahead of steam after that, and passed up their best chance just after the hour mark.

Udoh again beat Joe Tait and pulled a cross back for Knights who could only lift the ball over the bar from a glorious position.

At this point it was all Telford, with wave after wave of attacks coming from the home side.

Bartlett produced a top class save to deny Udoh from the edge of the box, before Morgan-Smith glanced a header straight at the keeper when unmarked in the box.

The home fans could sense a goal, and only the wood work prevented them from drawing level 20 minutes from time.

Morley's free kick found Jon Royle who header across goal struck the post, before bouncing against Udoh and trickling wide.

The pressure built and built, and hit breaking point on 73 minutes when the Bucks struck.

Udoh, who had offered a threat all through the half, held off a defender before working the ball to Knights on the edge of the box.

The forward lashed the ball first time into the corner to draw the hosts level and atone for his earlier miss.

It was almost immediate disaster for the Bucks, as the Ministermen broke forward and David Ferguson volleyed wide at the back post.

Back Telford came again, piling on the pressure with a succession of corners and crosses into the box.

Just as it looked as if they were going to have to settle for just a point, Morley, who had been a thorn in the York side with his dangerous crosses, pulled something out of the bag.

Substitute Andre Brown was fouled in a central position just outside the box in the 92nd minute.

Morley stepped up and wrapped a free kick over the wall and into the top corner to send Bucks Head wild.

It was just what Telford deserved and the late drama made it all the more sweeter for the home supporters.


22 - CHANCE - Henry Cowans' throw in is flicked on into the path of Amari Morgan-Smith, but the unmarked striker can only head high over the bar.

36 - GOAL - York hit the Bucks with a sucker punch, as a quick counter attack ends with Macauley Langstaff heading home an Alex Harris cross.

57 - CHANCE - Daniel Udoh beats the full back and his cross is only cleared as far as Steph Morley whose effort is deflected wide.

62 - CHANCE - Udoh again gets down the left and crosses for an unmarked Knights, but he can only fire over.

68 - CHANCE - Morley's free kick from the left finds Jon Royle. His header comes bounces off the post, hits Udoh and goes wide.

73 - GOAL - Udoh works the ball across the edge of the box for Knights to lash into the bottom corner.

90+2 GOAL - Morley steps up and curls a free into the top corner to win it for the Bucks

AFC Telford United: (3-5-2) Wycherley, Morley, Deeney, Sutton, Streete, Cowans, Lily (White 8), Royle (Dawson 69), Morgan-Smith, Udoh, Knights (Brown 83)

Subs not used: Bramley, McQuilkin

York City: (3-5-2) Barlett, Tail, Bencherif, Newton, Dyer, Law, Penn, Harris (Moke 72), Ferguson (Allan 90), Burrow, Langstaff (Wright 67)

Subs not used: Griffiths, Kempster,


Referee: Lewis Smith

Top Stories

More from the Shropshire Star

UK & International News