Widow who washed husband's asbestos-covered clothes dies of industrial disease

A widow who used to wash her husband's asbestos-covered clothes has died of industrial disease.

Joan Katheline McMillan, 91, died at home on February 25 having contracted a mesothelioma is a malignant tumor caused by inhaled asbestos fibers and forms in the lining of the lungs, abdomen or heart.

Mrs McMillan's husband died 15 years ago after becoming ill due to exposure to asbestos. She washed and cleaned his clothes, and it is believed that is how she became exposed to it.

At her inquest at Shirehall, the court heard she lived at home in Salcombe Drive, London Road Estate, Shrewsbury, and was being cared for by her son, Peter. She was admitted to hospital with shortness of breath in the days leading up to her death.

She was treated by doctors but declined further tests and wanted to go home for palliative care.

John Ellery, coroner for Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin, recorded a conclusion of industrial disease.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Shropshire Star

UK & International News