The supermarket giant has revealed it wants to relocate its northern Shrewsbury store from Arlington Way to a site off Battlefield Road that was previously earmarked for a Miller & Carter steakhouse, Costa drive through, Premier Inn and shop units.
Meanwhile plans have been submitted to Shropshire Council for homes and commercial buildings to be built on land to the west of Battlefield Road.
Objections to the housing development have begun to flood in, with people living nearby saying the proposed access off Mayfield Close is unsuitable and the added volume of cars will exacerbate traffic problems around Battlefield Roundabout.
The applicant, Jessup Brothers Ltd, says the plans will provide much-needed housing, with 100 of the properties to be ‘affordable homes’.
A design and access statement submitted with the application says: “The site is in a sustainable location for development, with access to a full range of services and facilities.
“The proposals offer the opportunity to introduce a mix of dwelling types to respond to local needs.
“The proposals take account of the landscape theme and features of the area.
“Access has been designed so as to ensure highway safety and access for all types of vehicles needed.
“The site boundaries have been designed so as to be secure and take account of the amenity of existing and future residents.”
A separate application from the same developer sets out the proposals for 19 units for office, leisure, food and drink, and other business uses. Jessup says this will bring an economic boost to the area.
The scheme also includes an area of public open space and proposed allotments, both of which were cause for concern when Shrewsbury Town Council discussed the applications at a meeting on Tuesday evening.
Members said the flood attenuation basin planned for the middle of the site should not be incorporated into the open space as it would mean the land was not usable as a children’s play area, and questions were raised about the management of the allotments.
Councillor Becky Wall, who represents the Battlefield ward, said she was concerned the two sets of plans as well as the proposed new Aldi – for which an application is yet to be submitted – would result in a huge volume of extra traffic.
Other members shared these fears, with Councillor Kevin Pardy saying: “Anybody that lives in that area knows exactly what the traffic problems are like, with traffic queuing from the Harlescott crossroads right back to the roundabout.”
Councillor Keith Roberts added: “Traffic in that part of town is diabolical now without putting more dwellings with more cars to get onto that road.”
The town council voted to defer a judgement on whether to support the applications until Shropshire Council’s highways department has responded to the consultation and more information on the open space and allotments has been provided.