Advertising

Man burned in Shrewsbury car explosion as he lights cigarette

By Lucy Todman | Shrewsbury | News | Published:

A man in his 20s was taken to hospital with burns to his head, legs and arms after an aerosol can exploded in a car outside a Shrewsbury pub when he tried to light a cigarette.

The car was wrecked – and the windscreen flew more than 75 feet across the car park.

The incident happened in the car park of the Two Henry's Pub on Robert Jones Way, Battlefield, as the man went to light up a cigarette.

It is believed the explosion was caused by the man's lighter coming in to contact with fumes from an air freshener can.

The windscreen was blown 75ft. Photo: @OPUShropshire

West Mercia Police were called at 7.30pm on Sunday to reports of an explosion in a car.

A fire crew, along with members of the ambulance service, also attended the incident which isn’t being treated as suspicious.

Keiran Bodill, spokesman for West Mercia Police said: "The incident happened in Robert Jones Way and involved a Vauxhall Corsa. It is believed to have been caused when a lighter was in contact with an air freshener, that had been sprayed moments earlier within the vehicle.

Advertising

"This damaged the vehicle and led to the windscreen being forced 75 feet away from it.

"The driver, a man in his 20s, received minor burn injuries following the incident, and was taken to Birmingham Queen Elizabeth hospital by land ambulance for treatment."

The incident was described by officers as a freak accident, but West Mercia Police issued a warning to other motorists to ensure that vehicles are well ventilated if a naked flame is being lit.

Sergeant Col Robinson of West Mercia Police, added: “This appears to be an isolated incident and did not cause any danger to the wider public.

“However, this shows the potential dangers that can be caused by spraying aerosol cans within confined spaces.”

Lucy Todman

By Lucy Todman
@shroptod

Senior reporter for the Shropshire Star and Shrewsbury Chronicle based in Shrewsbury.

Advertising

Top stories

Advertising

More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News