Drink drive suspect arrested as Shrewsbury schoolgirl, 11, killed in Range Rover horror

By Dominic Robertson | Shrewsbury | News | Published: | Last Updated:

A Shrewsbury schoolgirl has died after being hit by a Range Rover on a residential street while walking home from school. A 77-year-old man from Shrewsbury was arrested at the scene.

The girl, 11, who attended St George's Primary School, died at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital after the crash on Mytton Oak Road shortly before 4.18pm on Thursday.

The 77-year-old driver was arrested after declining treatment from the ambulance service. Police said on Friday evening that he had has been released under investigation while enquiries continue.

He was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol and has further been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

The scene of the crash on Mytton Oak Road

The girl was making her way home from lessons when she was hit by a grey Range Rover on Mytton Oak Road.

She was a year six pupil at St George's Primary School.

The vehicle appeared to have crossed onto the opposite side of the road before mounting the pavement and knocking down a garden wall, a telegraph pole, and a lamp post.

Flowers were left at the scene in tribute to the girl, while people living nearby spoke of their shock at the tragedy.


Sharon Munro, headteacher at St George’s Junior School, said the thoughts and prayers of those at the school were with the family of the girl, who has not been named.

She said: “It is with great sadness that I must confirm that a pupil from our school has tragically died after being hit by a car whilst making her way home yesterday. This is an incredibly difficult time for us all, but especially for her family and friends. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and we ask that people respect their privacy at this difficult time."

Flowers left at the scene of the crash on Mytton Oak Road


Murray MacGregor of West Midlands Ambulance Service said paramedics had given the girl life-support at the scene of the crash before taking her to the nearby Royal Shrewsbury Hospital for treatment on serious head injuries.

The first ambulance was on scene within two minutes of the 999 call, and was followed by a paramedic officer, a second ambulance and the Midlands Air Ambulance from Cosford with a Merit trauma doctor on board.

Mr MacGregor said it was decided to take the girl to RSH for treatment because it was only a short distance from the crash.

He said: “Emergency services arrived to find a young girl, in cardiac arrest after being involved in a collision with a 4x4. Ambulance staff immediately commenced life support on the girl at the scene.

“Due to the proximity of Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, the team took the decision to rapidly convey her by land ambulance on blue lights to the nearby A&E whilst resuscitation efforts continued en-route.

“Tragically, despite further treatment in hospital, nothing could be done to save the girl and she has since died.

“The driver of the 4x4, a man, declined treatment by ambulance staff at the scene.”

The scene of the crash on Mytton Oak Road

Detectives were at the scene of the tragedy, speaking to residents.

Chief Inspector Alison Davies, of West Mercia Police, today urged anyone with information to contact police.

She said "We are currently establishing the circumstances around this tragic incident.

"We are in the very early stages of the investigation and I would urge anyone who witnessed the collision, or saw the vehicle beforehand, to contact us."

on 101 quoting reference 528s of 15 June as soon as possible."

Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111 or at

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top stories


More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News