LIVE UPDATES: 'Danger to life' flood warnings remain in Shrewsbury and Ironbridge as Bridgnorth braces for more flooding
Two severe 'danger to life' flood warnings remain in place for the River Severn at Shrewsbury and Ironbridge, with the peak in Shrewsbury expected Tuesday tonight and Wednesday morning in Ironbridge.
Around 40 residents in Ironbridge were urged to evacuate their homes on Monday night as it was feared the swollen river could breach the barriers in place on The Wharfage, and people were rescued from their flooded homes in Shrewsbury.
In Shrewsbury the three main shopping centres, Darwin, Pride Hill and Riverside, were closed for the safety of customers and staff.
A West Midlands Railway spokesman said that trains between Shrewsbury and Birmingham New Street would be cancelled for the rest of the day after a viaduct in Shrewsbury reached a high water mark. Train services from Shrewsbury after 2pm were cancelled.
After the last service at 1.34pm, rail operators said trains from the east would only run as far as Wellington for the rest of the day, with replacement road transport in operation.
Transport for Wales has warned that all train lines at Shrewsbury Railway Station - except those running to and from Chester and Crewe - would be closed from 2pm on Tuesday.
Tonight’s AFC Telford home match against Curzon Ashton was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.
Staff from the Environment Agency worked throughout Monday night as it was reported that the Severn was "absolutely heaving".
Road closures list:
- Victoria Avenue
- Old Coleham
- Gravel Hill Lane
- Sydney Avenue
- Atcham to Cross Houses
- Chiltern Farm Lane
- Berwick Road
- Longden Coleham
- Raven Meadows
- Cressage to Eaton Constantine
- Smithfield Road – both directions
- Coton Hill
- Chester Street and Cross Street
- Atcham to Berwick Wharf
- B4380 Emstrey Island to Atcham
- Williams Way
- Coleham Head
- English Bridge
- Frankwell, including Welsh Bridge
- Wyle Cop
Priory Road remained closed due to roof damage at the Quarry Swimming Centre.
Town Walls was closed while Cadent investigate and repair a gas leak. Barring any unforeseen circumstances they anticipated the works would be complete by Wednesday.
London Road would remain open as normal until further notice. The temporary closure, for BT cable work, was due to be put back in place on Monday having been lifted last week.
Telford Council area:
- The Wharfage
- Buildwas Road
- Ferry Road
- Dale End
- The Lloyds
- Ironbridge Road
- Madeley Road from Hill Top
- Church Hill
- Waterloo Street
- The Free Bridge - there was no access to Broseley from Ironbridge and Jackfield
- Colliery Road, St Martins
- Clarke’s Lane, St Martins
- Burma Road, Park Hall, Whittington
- South Shropshire:
- B4368 Clun to Newcastle (road slip)
- Doctors Lane, Bridgnorth
- Riverside, Bridgnorth
- Severnside South Bridgnorth
- Shrewsbury Library - closed Tuesday
- The Gateway - closed Tuesday
- Shrewsbury shopping centres Darwin, Pride Hill and Riverside – closed Tuesday
- Shrewsbury High School – closed Tuesday
- Shrewsbury Colleges Group's Welsh and English bridge campuses - closed Tuesday
- University Centre Shrewsbury – closed Tuesday and reopening on Thursday
- St Winifrede’s – closed Tuesday
- Coalbrookdale Primary School – closed Tuesday