Real Madrid chief Florentino Perez ‘not contemplating’ Cristiano Ronaldo exit
The reigning Ballon d’Or winner believes he has been singled out for disproportionate treatment after he was accused of tax evasion.
Newly re-elected Real Madrid president Florentino Perez is “not contemplating” Cristiano Ronaldo leaving the European champions, despite talk of the disgruntled star returning to Manchester United.
The reigning Ballon d’Or and Best FIFA Men’s Player award winner is believed to feel singled out for disproportionate treatment after Spanish prosecutors accused him of evading tax of 14.7million euros (£12.8m).
Those allegations were denied in a statement by Ronaldo’s management company Gestifute, while Real Madrid say they have “full confidence” in a player who “will prove his total innocence in this process”.
But the situation has stuck in the craw for Ronaldo, leading the Portugal captain to tell those close to him that he wants to quit the club and the country.
United have been strongly linked with a move for their former forward, but Perez is not thinking about the possibility of Real losing their talisman.
“I want to talk with him,” the long-serving Real president told Onda Cero. “I have a good relationship with him after working together for eight years.
“I will talk with him when the Confederations Cup has finished.
“I’m not contemplating that Cristiano will leave. Right now he is a Madrid player.
“Something very odd will have to happen for him to go. And I’m not contemplating that, especially without speaking with him.”
Perez found out about Ronaldo’s anger through the front cover of Portuguese newspaper A Bola, but has not spoken to him since his man-of-the-match display in the Champions League final win against Juventus.
The 32-year-old is currently away with Portugal at the Confederations Cup in Russia, where he has so far evaded questions over his future – including skipping the traditional man-of-the-match press conference after Sunday’s draw with Mexico.
Ronaldo’s silence has only fuelled talk of a return to Old Trafford, where he became a fans’ favourite having flourished under the guidance of Sir Alex Ferguson before joining Madrid in a world-record deal eight years ago.
Paul Pogba is now the most expensive player on the globe after United brought him back from Juventus last summer and Jose Mourinho’s men would likely have to break the bank again to re-sign the Portuguese.
Ronaldo, a player United are naturally interested in, has a prohibitively high one billion euros (£880million) buyout clause in the new and improved deal he signed in November which ties him to the Bernabeu until 2021.
Free-spending Paris St Germain have also been linked with a player that Perez insists there have been no bids for, nor he says has there been any offers for Alvaro Morata or James Rodriguez.
“I’ve not spoken with Nasser (Al-Khelaifi, PSG president) or with anybody,” Perez said. “We’ve not received offers for him (Ronaldo), Morata or James.
“And neither have we made any offers for anybody.”
Press Association Sport understands United’s former Real boss Mourinho is keen to sign Morata as the Red Devils target three or four high-quality summer acquisitions.
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.