Juniors sign off in style with another piece of silverware

By Lewis Cox | Grassroots | Published:

Shrewsbury Juniors are celebrating a memorable treble after rounding off a stunning season in style at the home of Shrewsbury Town, writes Lewis Cox.

Shrewsbury Juniors.

The Juniors downed league rivals Gobowen Celtic 3-0 in the Shropshire FA Saturday Challenge Cup at Montgomery Waters Meadow to make it three cups in a week and four for the season.

Steve Rogers’ team won the Shropshire Premier Division title by nine points and stormed through to the domestic cups, beating higher-ranked clubs in the process, to add to their impressive silverware haul.

A rampant first-half display got the job done against Gobowen, who finished fifth in the league.

Liam Brown, Auden Jehu and Stuart Corns netted for the Shrewsbury Sports Village club as they eased to victory.

That trophy came hot on the heels of the club’s Powell Cup victory over higher-ranked Ellesmere Rangers and Shropshire Premier League Cup crown after defeating Oakengates Rangers – inside 24 hours.

Oakengates, who finished mid-table, were seen off at the New Bucks Head with Michael Duncombe firing a double and Jehu adding the third. George Lees netted for the Telford outfit.

And the success over Ellesmere, who ply their trade in the North West Counties Division One South, saw Shrewsbury upset the odds with a fine display of grit and desire in Wem.

Jordan Davies had Juniors ahead with a first-half opener only for Will Wells to equalise 20 minutes from time for Rangers.


But player-boss Rogers made a telling contribution with what proved to be the winner 15 minutes from time as he nodded in at the back post.

There was still time for goalkeeper Ross Bebb to be the hero as he came up trumps with a penalty save from Adam Davies.

Coton Rovers turned the form book on its head by claiming the Sunday Challenge Cup with a dramatic penalty shootout victory over league rivals and champions Bomere Heath.

Bomere, who stormed to the Shrewsbury Sunday League Division One title by winning 14 of 16 league games, found themselves behind to an early Harry Morris opener and then found themselves a man down shortly after.

Despite injury striking in the second period, the champions were able to rally and forced an equaliser midway through the second half through Christian Wilkinson.

Neither side were able to find a winner in 30 minutes of extra-time and the final was decided by spot-kicks as Coton made a mockery of the league standings to prevail 4-3.

Lewis Cox

By Lewis Cox
Multi-Media Sports Journalist - @lewiscox_star

Sports reporter with the Express & Star and Shropshire Star. Covering Shrewsbury Town and with a keen eye for non-league and grassroots.


Top stories


More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News