Wolves fan condemned by supporters over 'racist abuse'
Wolves fans have called for the lifetime ban of a racist match-goer who was shamed out of Molineux for his 'vile' comments.
Supporter Mark Richards sent out an online appeal for help after witnessing an act of racism during the Wanderers latest game against Newcastle on Tuesday night.
The 52-year-old football fan said he was seated near a man who had been spouting 'vile, racist abuse' throughout the match, and making the people around him extremely uncomfortable.
His call for help quickly gained widespread attention on Twitter, and attracted the attention of Wolves managing director Laurie Dalrymple.
More Wolves coverage:
- Express & Star comment: Wolves fans' courage to tackle racism
- Wolves 1 Newcastle United 1: Player ratings
- WATCH: Tim Spiers and Nathan Judah analysis
- LATEST: Nuno hails Wolves' fighting spirit after Newcastle late show
Account director Mark, from Gornal, wrote on Twitter following the game: "Need to report a racist sat in the Temporary Stand to the club.
"He left under pressure when South Bank turned on him.
"People around him were uncomfortable with him all night but probably too scared to say anything.
"Vile individual I’ve got his seat number."
He added that he was 'more than used to bad language' as a South Bank season ticket holder since the age of seven - but to hear 'vile racist abuse' from fans was 'sickening'.
The man in question was apparently forced to leave the stadium by fans, about 80 minutes into the match.
Mark added: "Disgusting language all night and that was the final straw.
"People around him were too polite and women next to him looked really uncomfortable.
"No stewards by him so just crowd pressure forced him out. Vile bloke."
Laurie responded directly to Mark and has said the club would act with 'the strongest terms possible'.
He replied to Mark the same evening: "Mark, extremely saddened to hear this. I’ll DM [direct message] you, and if you share your contact details with me, our Supporter Liaison Officer will be in contact this morning so we may identify the individual in question. Thanks for speaking out."
The MD then put out another message to all fans, saying: "To reaffirm our position and reassure fans, the club has a ZERO tolerance policy with regards to racism. We’re confident we’ve already identified the individual concerned and will act with the strongest terms possible. Thanks to everyone who has contacted us."
Supporters were enraged at the news of racism in the grounds, with many praising Mark for speaking out and Laurie for acting so fast. Several people have called for the individual to be banned from all future matches.
Fellow Wolves fan Simon Richards said: "Massive respect to you and the club for acting so swiftly, Laurie. I hope we never see that person at Molineux again - despicable. Thank you for dealing with it, you're a top bloke."
Another supporter Jon Moss added: "Lifetime ban for me! Diversity in our city, our club and on the terraces."
A spokesman for Wolves said the incident was being looked into by the club's support services.
Wolverhampton broadcaster Jacqui Oatley also backed the stance of Mr Dalrymple and the coub.
She tweeted: "Kudos to the Wolves MD Laurie Dalrymple for taking swift action re: eyewitness allegation of a racist fan who was turned on (and in) by fellow supporters."
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.