Nuno: No number on Wolves January signings
Boss Nuno Espirito Santo does not have a set amount of Wolves signings in mind this month.
And Nuno says it is not essential for new recruits to have previously played in 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 formations, which have been used to great success during his reign.
Wolves are yet to snap up a player in this window, other than youngster David Wang – who was immediately sent out on loan to Portuguese side Sporting.
But Nuno does want to add to his squad before the end of January, as long as whoever comes in brings something ‘special’.
The club’s pursuit of a striker, namely Villa loan star Tammy Abraham, has been no secret – and is something they are still working on despite reports Abraham is staying put at Villa Park.
Wolves are assessing who else they could bring in, and Nuno has not put a restriction on how many could arrive at Molineux.
“There are no numbers,” he said.
“It’s a squad and a shape you have, and you have to make the balance of who you have and what you want to build regarding the future.
“It’s about who has made things well and we keep counting on, some other players not.
“You have to make decisions. This is how we work, but there are no numbers.”
And on the system, he added: “It’s not about the system, it’s about the quality of the players.
“A player can play in another system and be good for us.”
If Wolves do not sign a centre forward over the next few weeks, there is no cause for panic as Raul Jimenez has now chipped in with seven goals this season.
But Nuno insists the Mexican No.9 provides the team with a lot more than just goals.
“It’s more than goals, it’s the way he works and the way he shapes the team in such moments,” he said.
“He gives us speed, he holds the ball and he scores and gives us assists.
“He is doing very, very well. You know what I’m going to say though. He has to do it again, and better.”
Supporters will hope Jimenez will be joined in attack by Diogo Jota in attack at Manchester City on Monday after the pair combined effectively as Wolves knocked Liverpool out of the FA Cup this week.
Jota had a ‘fantastic’ first half, but was taken off shortly into the second.
Nuno has stated that was always the plan though, as it was last season’s top scorer Jota’s first game back from a hamstring injury.
“It was something we had prepared. He is coming back from injury,” added Nuno.
“He had a fantastic first half, and before he did it in training.
“He is OK, but of course he doesn’t have 90 minutes of shape in his legs.”