Pre-season: Shrewsbury Town 3 Kidderminster Harriers 0 - Report

By Lewis Cox | Shrewsbury Town FC | Published:

Fejiri Okenabirhie marked his first appearance in a Town shirt with a double as Shrewsbury strolled to a 3-0 victory against Kidderminster Harriers at Lilleshall.

Abo Eisa scored in the win (AMA)

All the goals came in the first half as John Askey marked his first game as Salop boss with a win.

Okenabirhie's brace came either side of Abo Eisa's goal of the game. Askey used different teams in each half, with four trialists involved in all - one in goal, two central midfielders and a right-back.

New boys Ryan Haynes, Alex Gilliead and Okenabirhie all started, while Kieran Kennedy sat out nursing a knock.

Forward Okenabirhie sparked into life inside a minute, showing his finishing prowess by taking advantage of a poor Kidderminster pass in defence and lashing in left-footed via the goalkeeper's fingertips.

Busy ex-Dagenham hitman Okenabirhie then sent an effort just wide before Eisa added the finishing touch to a stunning individual effort.

The January signing from Wealdstone picked up the ball on the left, darted beyond two challenges to the byline, cut back into the box and smashed a low right-footed finish in.

New boy Alex Gilliead, who arrived yesterday from fired over just before the half hour mark after a smart move from the right side.

Town fielded three trialists in the first period, one in goal and two central midfielders. The midfield players were busy and eager to get on the ball. One fired narrowly wide from 25 yards.


But seconds later Okenabirhie added his second with a curled effort from outside the box that the goalkeeper would have been disappointed to see slip through his grasp.

An entirely different second-half XI started in similar fashion as Arthur Gnahoua - starting on left midfield - sent a fierce shot beaten away at the goalkeeper's near post.

Town's midfield were keeping the ball ticking over with Jon Nolan heavily involved.

A Shaun Whalley corner was headed on to the bar and over the top by sub striker Lenell John-Lewis.


The second period lacked the intensity of the first but John-Lewis burst into life with a fierce left-footed from distance that was beaten away.

John-Lewis looked sharp and took a low Gnahoua cross from the left before firing wide at the near post.

Kidderminster forged their first effort of note 10 minutes before the end when they failed to hit the target from a presentable opening, firing inches over Cameron Gregory's right angle.

Bryn Morris went within inches of adding a fourth as his 22-yard free-kick whistled beyond the left post.


Shrewsbury Town first-half XI (4-4-2): Trialist; Bolton, Jules, Sadler (c), Haynes; Gilliead, Trialist, Trialist, Eisa; Payne, Okenabirhie.

Shrewsbury Town second-half XI (4-1-4-1/4-3-3): Gregory; Trialist, Nsiala, Beckles, Hendrie; Morris; Whalley, Nolan (Shelis, 85), Jones, Gnahoua; John-Lewis.

Lewis Cox

By Lewis Cox
Trainee Multi-Media Sports Journalist - @lewiscox_star

Sports reporter with the Express & Star and Shropshire Star. Covering Shrewsbury Town and with a keen eye for non-league and grassroots.


Top stories


More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News