Gavin Cowan very happy to see Steph Morley return to AFC Telford fold

By Joe Edwards | AFC Telford United | Published:

AFC Telford United chief Gavin Cowan has expressed his delight at having ‘superb’ full-back Steph Morley back from injury.

Steph Morley

Morley made his return as the Bucks bowed out of the FA Cup at Warrington Town at the weekend.

It was the 31-year-old’s third appearance of the season following several weeks on the sidelines with a calf problem.

“If we’re taking the positives out of the weekend, he is one of them,” said Cowan.

“He got 90 minutes under his belt. He looks fit, he feels good.

“I thought his performance was the best out of our 11, or any of the lads who got on.

“I thought he was superb in every way.

“If everyone would have adopted his performance and his attitude, I don’t think we’d be sitting here with a loss under our belt.”

Morley joined Telford in the summer after two years at Tamworth.


He has also played for Brackley Town, Corby Town and Leamington and is the second oldest player in the Bucks squad – 32-year-old striker Matthew Barnes-Homer being the most experienced.

Explaining what he brings to the team, Cowan said: “He’s experienced. He’s a defender first and foremost but with his deliveries, he’s difficult for anyone (to deal with).

“I’m really pleased to have him back in the ranks.”

John McAtee started at Cantilever Park too, making his first appearance since re-joining Telford on loan from county rivals Shrewsbury Town, for a month.


The 19-year-old played in an attacking midfield role for the Bucks and missed a couple of chances before being taken off in the second half.

“I thought he did well. He took a little while to get going – the first 10 minutes perhaps – but then he got his way into the game,” added Cowan.

“We asked him to just sit in that No.10 role and when the ball was being played forward from deep to make runs in behind.

“I thought he did it well for the most part. He did alright.”

Meanwhile, Warrington, who beat Telford 2-1 on Saturday, have been drawn at home against National League side FC Halifax Town in the fourth qualifying round of the Cup.

The winner of the clash will receive £25,000 in prize money. The Yellows got £15,000 for their triumph against the Bucks.

Joe Edwards

By Joe Edwards
Multi-Media Sports Journalist - @JoeEdwards_Star

Sports reporter for the Express & Star and Shropshire Star.


Top stories


More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News