‘Concrete jungle’ concerns fail to stop nod for 220 new Telford homes
Final approval has been granted for more than 200 homes in Telford, despite concerns from residents and councillors.
Plans have been approved to build 220 homes in Priorslee.
This application outlines the final design of the development, off Gatcombe Way, to be built by Lovell.
Outline planning permission for the development was originally granted in July 2009 and a subsequent application was approved in September 2014 which modified one of the conditions to extend the time limit for the development
Now approved, the development will be made up of 24 two-bed homes, 101 three-bed homes, and 49 three-bed homes for sale on the open market. A further 24 two-bedroom, 16 three-bedroom, and three four-bedroom homes will be made available for social rent. And seven two-bed and three three-bed homes will be put up for purchase through shared ownership.
But residents have raised concerns over the development, saying it could turn the area into a “concrete jungle”.
And members of Telford & Wrekin Council’s planning committee, who decided the plans at its meeting at the Whitehouse Hotel in Wellington on Wednesday said they also had some concerns.
The proposals had been put forward for decision by the committee by Telford & Wrekin Council ward member Councillor Veronica Fletcher.
Speaking after the meeting, Councillor Nicola Lowery, a member of the committee, and ward member for the Ironbridge Gorge, said: “The main concerns from members were the lack of school places, access of GP services, sustainable transport links and over-development.
“My concerns related to over-development, the separation distances between properties and layout which were symptomatic of an over-development of the site.”
The plans were approved, despite three members of the planning committee voting against.
Development of the site will now begin in due course.