Advertising

Plans for four houses on historic Telford site refused

By Sophie Madden | Telford | Property | Published:

Plans to build four homes have been dismissed by planners, after concerns were raised they could damage a historic moat.

A view of the site in St Georges submitted with the planning application

The plans had been put forward to build the semi-detached homes on land between Greenacres and The Bungalow in Church Street St Georges, after two existing bungalows were knocked down.

But the extension of the site would have taken over land which has evidence of a medieval moat.

The area lies on the north western part of St Georges Moated Site, recorded on the Shropshire Historic Environment Record and thought to be the remains of a medieval moated manor house.

A small hoard of Roman coins were also found in the 1930s on the moated site, and the development site lies 75m to the south of the line of Watling Street, the Wroxeter to London Road.

Residents living alongside Church Street had also raised concerns to Telford & Wrekin Council that the development would overlook existing homes and would put pressure on the already busy road.

The plans were refused by officers on Friday on the grounds that the vehicle movements generated by the site would “result in an increase in highway danger”.

A report submitted by Shropshire Council’s policy and environment sustainability group said: “A brief archaeological statement has been produced by the applicant in support of this application which suggests that the earthworks of the moat within the application site have been obscured or damaged by the gardens.

“Nevertheless it is considered possible that archaeological remains relating to the medieval moated site may survive within the proposed development site, and groundworks associated with the proposed development may impact on such archaeological remains and deposits.”

Advertising

Members of Priorslee and St Georges Parish Council also voiced “strong objection” to the plans, saying it would “have a huge negative and detrimental impact leading to loss and destruction to a historical heritage medieval site”, as well as raising concerns about road safety on Church Street.

An archaeological report submitted with the plans said it was unlikely that there was anything of historical merit on the site.

It said: “A number of relevant previous surveys have been carried out.

“All are consistent with the conclusion that there is no relevant archaeology within the gardens, and particularly that there are no remnants left of the northern end of the St Georges moated site which was probably originally located where the gardens of the two properties now are.”

Officers from Telford & Wrekin Council refused the plans on June 30.

Sophie Madden

By Sophie Madden
@SMadden_Star

Senior reporter based out of the head office in Ketley covering the Telford area.

Advertising

Top stories

Advertising

More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News