Council approves homes plans despite consultation concerns

A major housing project has been approved despite concerns the coronavirus pandemic meant residents “weren’t aware” of the consultation.

Telford & Wrekin Council has approved the plans
Telford & Wrekin Council has approved the plans

The Wrekin Housing Group (WHG) applied to build 88 homes on 15 acres between Colliers Way and Park Lane, Old Park, and the Telford and Wrekin Council Planning Committee voted unanimously in favour.

WHG is hoping to start work on the homes in the next few months.

The project received in-principal outline permission last March, but Ketley and Overdale councillor Mark Boylan pointed out that was based on plans for “up to 82” homes.

He also told the committee the council’s “mainly online” consultation impacted nearby residents’ knowledge of it and ability to respond.

Matthew Adams, of Worcester-based DJD Architects, represented WHG at the meeting.

He told the committee 100 per cent of the new homes would be affordable.

He added that the site is allocated for homes in the Telford and Wrekin Local Plan, providing the required amount of parking space and exceeding the outdoor space requirement.

A planners’ report recommended for the committee to vote in favour of the plans, but acknowledged 16 objections had been received from the public and Lawley and Overdale Parish Council and Councillor Boylan were also opposed.

Councillor Boylan said the consultation took place between November 17 and December 8, while England was under lockdown restrictions.

“A lot of the residents weren’t actually made aware of the consultation because it was mainly an online thing,” he said.

“The plans have changed since last time. The dwellings have increased again.

“It’s going to have a visual impact and a natural impact.

“I know there’s a need for development, but this is not the right development for the area.”

Committee member Janice Jones said she shared Councillor Boylan’s concerns about the consultation, and asked how wide it had been.

Area Team Planning Manager Andrew Gittens said notices had been posted in the area and in the local press, and WHG had carried out its own consultation in addition.

“I’m aware they did run the plans past some of the residents – there is a residents’ association in this area,” he said.

The planners’ report added that WHG will be asked to contribute just under £500,000 towards local schools, transport, parking management and play facilities.

Jane Kind, development manager at WHG, said: “We’re delighted to have secured planning permission for 88 much needed affordable family homes. We are aiming to start on site before the summer and look forward to working with local partners during the build process before welcoming customers to the brand new homes in 2023.”

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Shropshire Star

UK & International News