Advertising

Telford man died of toxic mixture of drugs, inquest finds

By Rory Smith | Telford | News | Published:

A Telford man who suffered from respiratory problems died after mixing prescription drugs with cocaine and heroin, an inquest has heard.

Brett-Adam Compton was found unresponsive in his home on August 27, 2018, after mixing heroin, cocaine and cannabis with medically prescribed drugs.

The inquest at Telford & Wrekin Registrar Office heard paramedics were called to the house in Corbett Close, Telford, where they confirmed the 41-year-old had died.

Officers from West Mercia Police also attended the property, who concluded there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death.

The court heard Mr Compton, who was unemployed, suffered from emphysema, a form of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease which contributed to his death, and that he had complained of shortness of breath in the week before he died.

A toxicology report stated he had a mixture of illicit and prescription drugs in his system which combined with his respiratory problems caused his death.

Dr Harmesh Moudgil, a consultant from Telford’s Princess Royal Hospital, said: “Heroine can cause a fluid build up in the lungs and other drugs such as cocaine can exacerbate this.

“From the emphysema point of view, there wasn’t a lot that could be done prior apart from record it, as it is a symptomatic disease with no current cure.

“From a toxicology point of view, the report states he had a mixture of illicit and medically prescribed drugs in his system and gives the cause of death of multi-drug toxicity which includes both these types of drugs.”

Advertising

John Ellery, senior coroner for Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin recorded a narrative conclusion that Mr Compton died from a mixture of prescribed and non prescription drugs contributed to by emphysema.

“There is no question that this was not on purpose,” he said.

“What is clear is that what contributed but didn’t cause his death, was his COPD.

“It is probable although down to speculation, that had Brett not suffered from emphysema and had a strong working chest, the amount of cocaine and heroine in his system may not have killed him.”

Addressing Mr Compton’s family, who attended the inquest, he added: “Brett was a much-loved son and his death has clearly had an affect on the family. I offer you all my sincerest condolences.”

Rory Smith

By Rory Smith
Reporter - @rorysmith_star

Trainee news reporter based at the Shropshire Star's Ketley office in Telford.

Advertising

Top stories

Advertising

More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News