Man, 19, died after stepping into path of bus in Telford

By Deborah Hardiman | Telford | News | Published:

A trainee mechanic who died when he was struck by a bus in Telford stepped into its path, an inquest heard.

Lee Hill

Lee Hill died at the scene after the collision with the Arriva number one bus in Sutton Way, Sutton Hill, on September 15 last year.

The 19-year-old of Selbourne, Sutton Hill, was walking along Sutton Way, near Hilda Hooke Close, when tragedy struck at about 9.58pm.

Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin Coroner John Ellery told the hearing that the incident was captured by CCTV.

He told the inquest held yesterday that the cause of death was multiple traumatic injuries and that Mr Hill's blood alcohol level was 263 milligrammes. The legal limit for driving is 80.

Flowers left at the scene of the tragedy

Mr Ellery said: "From the evidence that I have seen it does appear that Lee had stepped in front of the bus. There is no suggestion that he did so deliberately, but in effect what cannot be avoided is the alcohol level in his system.

"That is not to pass judgement on Lee at all. It is a significant fact that may have played a significant part in why he stepped in the path of a bus.

"The footage from the CCTV could not have been clearer as to what happened."


"It does not explain why he did it, but it does clearly show it. I am not here to protect anyone, but that driver could not have done anything. It may be that that explains what is otherwise inexplicable."


Mr Ellery told the hearing at Telford Register Office that there was 0.7 seconds between Mr Hill stepping off the path to the impact.

He also read aloud a statement made by the bus driver Craig Turner, who explained that he was driving at a speed of approximately 20mph when he saw a "shadow on his left hand side".


Mr Ellery said: "He says this was followed almost immediately by his front windscreen breaking. He halted as he realised that he had struck a pedestrian."

The coroner recorded a conclusion that Mr Hill died as a result of a road traffic collision.

Following Mr Hill's death, friends and family held a memorial football day to raise funds for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust, as Lee suffered from the condition.

The Lee Hill Memorial Shield, sponsored by No Gym Required, will be played for annually in his memory and to raise funds for charity.

Trudi Truman, co-manager of Wenlock Motors, where he worked, also paid tribute: “He was an incredible lad. It’s truly shocking and everyone here is devastated.

“He was incredibly helpful here and he’ll be dearly missed – he was such a good lad and his work was very good too. He was an apprentice training to be a mechanic and there’s absolutely no doubt we were going to take him on.”

Deborah Hardiman

By Deborah Hardiman

Senior reporter for the Shropshire Star based out of the head office in Ketley. Covering the Telford area.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top stories


More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News