Shropshire Star

Two barbecues cause fire scares at south Shropshire beauty spot

Fire-fighters were scrambled to a south Shropshire beauty spot where two blazes were caused by barbecues.

Last updated

A top county fire fighter has asked members of the public to consider the impact of fires in a natural environment.

The fires in the open happened nearly two weeks after a major fire in the same area ravaged the hillside up Cwmdale Valley.

This time one crew from Church Stretton was scrambled to the scene at Long Mynd, Bishop's Castle at 3.43pm on Sunday.

A spokesman for Shropshire Fire & Rescue Service said: "Two separate seats of fire caused by BBQ. Crews extinguished using knapsacks and buckets of water."

They declared the incident over at 4.13pm.

A top fire officer at Shropshire Fire & Rescue Service has asked the public to consider the impact and spread of fires in natural environments.

Lee Barker, the service's head of training and development tweeted: "We recognise that our countryside is amazing and people love getting out.

"We only ask you consider the impact and spread of fires in natural environments."