Advertising

Smoke alarm rouses woman

By Sue Austin | Church Stretton | News | Published:

A smoke alarm roused a woman sleeping in her lounge when a log fell out of the fire.

Smoke detector woken the woman in her home

Fire chiefs say there could have been far more serious consequences if there had not been a working smoke alarm in the house in Church Stretton.

The 58-year-old woman needed oxygen therapy following the fire which broke out in the lounge of a house in Cunnery Road at 6.20amon Thursday.

Two fire crews from Church Stretton and Bishops Castle went to the house and found that the woman had put out the fire. But the downstairs of the property was heavily smoke-logged and firefighters ventilated her home.

Station Manager, Chris White said the woman had been sleeping downstairs in the lounge because of her health.

"A log fell out of the open fire and onto combustible materials," he said.

"The smoke alarm woke her and she was able to put out the fire before we arrived. She was suffering from the effects of the smoke and was given oxygen therapy."

He said the fire showed the importance of having a working smoke alarm.

"There could have been much more serious consequences if she had not been roused by the alarm. Everyone should regularly check that their smoke alarm is in working order," he said.

Mr White said that the Fire and Rescue service's vulnerable person's team would be contacting the woman to offer advice and support.

Sue Austin

By Sue Austin
Chief Reporter

Chief reporter of the Oswestry/Mid Wales office. Keen to hear your news.

Advertising

Top stories

Advertising

More from Shropshire Star

Advertising

UK & International News