Driver injured as van explodes on Shropshire border road
A driver was injured when gas canisters in the back of his van exploded on the Shropshire border today.
The A44 near Kington was closed after the explosion just after 7.30am and police said it was expected to be shut for some time.
The fire completely destroyed the white van.
Hereford and Worcester fire service said that the explosion was caused by a mixture of refrigeration gas and propane gas cylinders. Fire crews extinguished the blaze using breathing apparatus and hose reel jets
West Midlands Ambulance Service said the van was completely burnt out.
Spokesman, Murray MacGregor, said: “We were called to reports of a small panel van carrying gas cylinders that had exploded.
“On arrival, ambulance staff found the van that had been completely burnt out.
“Thankfully the driver, a man in his 40s, had managed to get out of the vehicle before it was consumed by the fire.
“He was assessed and treated at the scene before being taken by land ambulance to Hereford County Hospital.”
South Shropshire still on flood alert as snow and ice set to hit Telford, Oswestry, Shrewsbury and more