Fire forces Shrewsbury chip shop to close days after being voted one of best in country

A fire has forced a popular chip shop to close just days after it was recognised as one of the best in the country.

Paul Kayiatou owner of The Shire Fryer, celebrates with staff after being voted among the country's best chip shops
Paul Kayiatou owner of The Shire Fryer, celebrates with staff after being voted among the country's best chip shops

The Shire Fryer, in London Road, Shrewsbury, is temporarily shut after a fire in the store room on Saturday morning. Nobody was hurt in the blaze.

It was only a few days ago that the chippy, owned by Paul Kayiatou, was featured in the Shropshire Star after being voted one of the top 50 chip shops in the country. It was the only one in Shropshire to make the list in this year's Fry Awards.

A statement from the chip shop said: "We are sorry to inform you that due to a fire at the shop overnight we will be temporarily closed until further notice.

"We will work hard to get back open as soon as we can - no one is hurt and we will be up and running soon - thank you."

Fire crews were called to the chip shop shortly after 7.20am.

A Shropshire Fire and Rescue spokesman said: "We received a call reporting a fire classified as Property Fire in Shrewsbury. Two fire appliances were mobilised from Shrewsbury. An operations officer was in attendance."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Shropshire Star

UK & International News