Advertising

Shrewsbury woman in appeal to find good Samaritan who stopped her choking at Flower Show

By Sue Austin | Shrewsbury | News | Published:

A Shrewsbury woman wants to trace the man she says saved her life at the town's Flower Show.

Fiona Lewis and her mum, Hilary

Fiona Lewis started choking on a walnut from a cake she had been eating in the Women's Institute tent while volunteers were manning the exhibits.

When she managed to attract the attention of those around to her predicament they rushed to help.

But Fiona said she there was nothing they could do to dislodge the nut and she feared she would die.

Then a stranger stepped in and carried out the Heimlich manoeuvre.

The drama began on Friday afternoon as Fiona was helping her mother, Hilary, a member of Sundorne W.I. in the marquee.

"I don't eat cake as a rule but this walnut cake looked amazing," she said.

Shrewsbury Flower Show

"As I was eating it a big piece of nut got stuck in my throat. I couldn't cough it up and I couldn't breathe in or out."

Advertising

She said that, unable to speak, she could not attract anyone's attention.

"I tried to shout out but there was no way, as I couldn't breath. I have never been so scared in my life. I thought I was going to die."

Fiona, 54, said the first people were aware of her problem was when she started to turn blue and faint.

"I fell forward. Then I remember people slapping my back. There were people with first aid training but they were trying to help but saying they did not have the strength to dislodge the nut."

Advertising

She says her life was saved when an older man who had been sheltering from the rain in the marquee intervened.

"He stepped in from the side somewhere and performed the Heimlich manoeuvre," She said.

Shrewsbury Flower Show

"The walnut suddenly shot out and I could breathe again. I managed to give him a hug but then I was whisked away to make sure I was OK, which I was, thanks to this man.

"I would love to be able to thank him properly. I remember he had a bright blue padded rain jacket, but that is all.

"If it was for this man, I would not be here right now."

Fiona said that she would never have thought that something as simple as a nut could be so dangerous.

"I will think twice before eating a walnut cake again," she said.

She said she would love the gentleman or his family to contact her via her Facebook post on the For the Love of Shrewsbury page.

"I just want to say thankyou," she said.

Sue Austin

By Sue Austin
Chief Reporter

Chief reporter of the Oswestry/Mid Wales office. Keen to hear your news.

Advertising

Top stories

Advertising

More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News