Diggers move in at Shrewsbury's former Copthorne Barracks - with video and pictures
Bricks, mortar and metal – this was once the site of Shrewsbury’s Copthorne Barracks, although now it is barely recognisable.
Developers have been on the site for a couple of weeks, tearing down the historic barracks to make way for more than 200 houses.
The site was sold in May 2018 to Bellway Homes, and last month permission was given to start work on the site. In the last few weeks developers have managed to do a significant amount of work.
Bellway’s plans for 216 homes off Copthorne Road were approved by Shropshire Council last month, paving the way for the start of construction on site.
The barracks were built between 1877 and 1881 and initially included a hospital, married quarters, stabling and stores.
Military veterans ran a campaign to save the site, concerned that the heritage value of the former garrison HQ of the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry would be lost if they were torn down.
And, although parts of the site will be lost, Bellway will pay more than £1 million as part of the planning agreement.
That will include £1m to education, £110,000 for highways, £115,000 for a new sports pitch and more than £30,000 towards open space.
Part of the historic keep will be kept and will be transformed into luxury apartments. The new development will be known as Copthorne Keep.
Bellway’s development will comprise one, two, three and four-bedroom homes, including 43 properties designated as affordable housing. The first plots are set to be released for sale in May.
Marie Richards, sales director for Bellway West Midlands, said: “Copthorne Keep has been carefully designed to offer a range of homes to suit buyers at all stages of the property ladder, whether they’re first-time buyers, growing families or downsizers.
“As well as delivering much-needed new homes for the local area, we are making significant local contributions towards local infrastructure and facilities, which will ensure this development is a fantastic addition to Shrewsbury.”