Advertising

Call me Sooty: The owl that 'flue' into wood burner at Ellesmere house - with pictures

By James Pugh | Ellesmere | News | Published:

A tawny owl had a lucky escape after he got stuck inside a wood burner at an Ellesmere house and was rescued covered in soot.

The bird, which was left covered in soot, was rescued by an RSPCA inspector after the concerned homeowner contacted the animal charity about the bird's plight.

Inspector Kate Parker went to the house in Criftins, in Ellesmere, to rescue the bird on Sunday.

She said: "The owl was completely trapped inside the flue of the wood burner and he may not have been found if the homeowners hadn't have heard scratching.

The rescued owl

"The only way I could get him out was very delicately – something which took 90 minutes.

"He looked a little worse for wear as he was completely covered in black soot. I got him to a vet to be checked over and thankfully he was not seriously injured.

"He's now been taken to Cuan Wildlife Centre to be cleaned up and looked after until he can be released back into the wild.

"To think that the owl fell all the way from the roof and down the chimney and to not get any serious injuries is remarkable."

If anyone spots an animal in distress or wants to report suspected animal cruelty, contact the RSPCA's 24-hour emergency hotline by calling 0300 1234 999. For more information visit rspca.org.uk

James Pugh

By James Pugh
@JamesP_Star

Shropshire Star Business and Farming Editor.

Advertising

Top stories

Advertising

More from Shropshire Star

Advertising

UK & International News