The archive is held by the town council at the Guildhall. It is housed in a special, temperature-controlled area within the listed building and contains documents dating back many hundreds of years.
The oldest document, a grant by the Earl of Arundel of two shops to the Burgesses of Oswestry, is dated 1324. However, most of the collection dates from 1674 onwards.
They even include a letter signed by Oliver Cromwell.