Restoration for historic home

A historic building, once the home of an Oswestry mayor, has been returned to its former glory.

The Georgian Town House in Upper Brook Street, Oswestry, has been used as offices for more than half a century.

Now developer, Chamberlain Property Company, has returned it to its original use as a family home.

The Grade II listed, three storey building had been used as an office for 66 years.

Director of Chamberlain Property Company, Greg Walters, said “We initially viewed the property with a view to creating three, self contained apartments, however, the layout of the property did not lend itself to the scheme.

"We decided it should be changed back into what it was originally was, a family home and, after obtaining listed building consent and change of use for the building we set about the sympathetic renovation of the building.

Originally built in the mid19 th century the property was originally owned by a William Henry Hill until 1896 when the property was purchased by William Henry Gascoigne Weaver, a former mayor of Oswestry.

The company has researched the subsequent history and has a fascinating acount from Vivienne Blackett, who live there between 1933 and 1942 from the ages of one to nine.

"Vivienne’s parents rented the house from Harold and Gerald, the grandsons of William Henry Gascoigne Weaver. Vivienne’s father worked as the manager of the Oswestry branch of Midland Bank which still stands today as HSBC in the centre of town. Her words give a really good picture of how life was at that time.

"She tells the story of the cellar being used as an air raid shelter and the fact she had to give up her bedroom to house evacuees from Liverpool during the war.The iron railisnter were also removed from the front of the row of terraces to help with the war effort."

In July 1954 the property was purchased by John Reginald Powell and his family moved in with the front ground floor of the property used as an office and meeting

room for General Accident Insurance brokerage. It was later in the in the 1960s that the entire building became offices.

"During the works in Oswestry it was a pleasure to meet Jane Powell, John Powells daughter to hear her memories of living in the house. Her older brother also named John send us many photographs some of which are stills from 1950’s cinefilm.”

The cellar is thought to be untouched from the time the house was built and he original marble fireplace is still in place in the grand sitting room.

The house is currently on the market for sale with Town and Country Estate Agents in Oswestry.

More information about Chamberlain Property Company can be found at

www.chamberlainpropertycompany.com

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Shropshire Star

UK & International News