Family left without water in heatwave as well dries up

By Jonny Drury | Mid Wales | News | Published:

A family have been left without any water in the current dry spell after the well that supplies their house dried up.

Andy Flemming's well

Andy Flemming and his wife have been living in an old house from the 1800s just off the A470 near Dolfach, in Powys, since September.

The old home runs off a well, with Mr Flemming getting water daily for general use and to give to his three horses.

However, last week when going to the well he realised it had dried up and did not know what to do.

After getting in touch with Severn Trent Water to ask if he could pay to get a connection, he said he was told no and was refused help.

Mr Flemming has been left with getting water from neighbour's supplies, and says it is "disgusting" Severn Trent was unable to help.

He said: "The well dried up last Friday so we have been without water for over a week.

Mr Flemming has been left with getting water from neighbour's supplies

"When we got the house we didn't realise there would be no water in it after a bit of sun.


"I got in touch with Welsh Water, who said Severn Trent work in that area, so I called them and they just said they couldn't help me at all.

"It was like they were reading off a script, it was appalling that a company who makes billions per year couldn't help.

"I said I would pay to have a pipe fitted, and connect to the mains on the main road but they said they couldn't help me."

Mr Flemming has been taking two and three-hour round trips to two neighbouring properties to get water from a tap and from a stream for household use and to water his horses.


What do Severn Trent say?

Severn Trent have said that he is not a customer, but they can help. However the request needs to come from his local authority.

A spokesman said: "There are very clear rules and regulations with regard to people with a private water supply that we’re obliged to follow.

"We’d normally expect those who rely on a private well or borehole to make their own arrangements for alternative supplies, but there are circumstances where we would provide assistance but that request has to come from the local authority.

"If Mr Flemming contacts his local authority and can demonstrate there’s a threat to life or health, and that he can’t get water supplies himself, the council can then come to us and we can look at how best to support him."

Jonny Drury

By Jonny Drury

Senior reporter covering Oswestry and Mid Wales.


Top stories


More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News