Advertising

Two elderly people rescued from fire near Bridgnorth after aerosol can explosion

By Aimee Jones | Bridgnorth | News | Published:

Firefighters rescued two elderly people suffering from smoke inhalation from a burning house near Bridgnorth after an aerosol can exploded.

The scene of the fire rescue in Severn Vale, Eardington

A man suffered smoke inhalation while a woman suffered serious smoke inhalation and had superficial burns to her hand and face after a portable heater set alight an item nearby, causing the aerosol to explode.

Crews from Bridgnorth, Cleobury Mortimer and Much Wenlock were called to Severn Vale, Eardington, at around 9pm on Tuesday.

The blaze is believed to have broken out in the kitchen.

Two people were rescued by firefighters and given oxygen therapy.

West Mercia Police and the ambulance service were also on scene.

A spokeswoman for Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Firefighters from Bridgnorth searched the smoke-logged home wearing breathing apparatus, rescuing the injured woman from the kitchen where she was found suffering from serious smoke inhalation.

"She was led to safety and treated using oxygen therapy equipment before being transferred, along with a second occupant, into the care of West Midlands Ambulance personnel.

Advertising

"The fire was extinguished by fire crews from Bridgnorth, Cleobury Mortimer and Much Wenlock."

West Midlands Ambulance Spokesman Jamie Arrowsmith said: "We were called at 9.07pm to reports of a property fire on Severn Vale in Eardington, Bridgnorth. Two ambulances and a paramedic officer attended the scene.

"We treated two patients – an elderly man for smoke inhalation and an elderly woman for superficial burns to her hand and face.

"Both patients were transported to Princess Royal Hospital on the same ambulance."

Advertising

James Bainbridge, station manager (prevention) at Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service, added: "This is a significant reminder not to place heat sources near to combustible material.

“Every home must have working smoke detectors to act as an early warning in the event of a fire and thankfully they were present in this property.

“We would stress however that in the event of any fire you should get out, stay out and call 999. This advice really can mean the difference between safety and serious injury – or worse.”

Bridgnorth fire crews returned to the scene today to distribute fire prevention advice in the neighbourhood. Further fire safety activity is planned in the coming days supported by the Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service’s Prevention Team.

Aimee Jones

By Aimee Jones
@aimeejones_star

News reporter based at the Shropshire Star's Shrewsbury office, covering North Shropshire, including Ellesmere, Whitchurch and Wem.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top stories

Advertising

More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News