Shropshire Star

Shropshire man burned in vape battery explosion

A man suffered burns after a vaping battery exploded in his pocket.


Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service were called to the incident near Bridgnorth.

One appliance and an operations officer were in attendance at Peacock Hill, Alveley, where one male casualty is believed to have suffered burns to his upper legs.

The drama happened shortly after 12.30pm yesterday. The victim of the fire is not believed to be seriously injured.

The explosion is the latest to involve equipment associated with a vaping e-cigarette.

Back in January, a man was using the electronic cigarette in his bedroom at Blakemore in Brookside, Telford, when he suffered burns to his face after it exploded in his mouth. Fire crews were called and the man had a tooth knocked out and suffered burns to his hand and face in the blast.

At the time Malcolm Stevenson of Shropshire Fire and Rescue said it was the first incident in the county he had seen, but said there have been cases where the devices have overheated and caught fire.

Meanwhile last week a couple from Ellesmere Port were reported to have had an e-cigarette go off 'like a firecracker' in their bedroom. It happened as they tried to put the fully charged battery back into the device.

Yesterday's drama in Alveley comes after a recall was made on Chinese-made charges Kanger Tech E-Cigarette last month. Due to not having a cut-off function, owners were warned that they could explode and a nationwide recall was issued.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.