Wedding guest Stephen ends up in Argentinian hospital after being hit by motorbike

By Deborah Hardiman | Telford | Local Hubs | Published: | Last Updated:

A holiday of a lifetime for a charity fundraiser from Shropshire turned to disaster when he was hit by a motorbike.

Stephen Hutchinson with colleagues Binu George and Gary Cullum

Stephen Hutchinson had travelled to Buenos Aires, Argentina to attend the wedding of a long-time friend but ended up in hospital.

Medical service driver Stephen was sight-seeing when he was knocked down on December 15.

The Shrewsbury Town fan had travelled to Argentina for the wedding of friends Lucy and Alan Vazquez, who live in the city.

The 51-year-old, who suffered a chipped bone and torn ligaments in his left leg, has since had surgery at the Princess Royal Hospital after recovering enough to return to his home, in Admaston near Telford.

"I was really upset about what happened, although the outcome could have been worse, because I missed part of the celebrations.

"The wedding involved a civil ceremony followed by a religious ceremony. I had been to the first ceremony on the Thursday, but missed the second at the church on the Saturday because I was in hospital.

"I've known Lucy for about 20 years after we met online in the days when the internet was new and it was a dial up service. She came to the London Olympics and spent some time visiting me up here, so she invited me to her wedding.

"I got to Argentina on December 7 and the accident was towards the end of my stay.



"After the civil wedding there was a party, but the next day Lucy and Alan went to work and I went sight-seeing with some other people whom I'd met. After that I was walking back to my apartment and as I was using a zebra crossing I could see this bike coming. I tried to avoid it, but it hit me. I was out cold on the ground.

"I came round as I was being wheeled on a trolley from the ambulance into one of the free hospitals," Mr Hutchinson explained.

"They did an X-ray and put a plaster cast on my leg. I managed to contact Lucy and Alan who came to collect me the next day and they put me up in a hotel nearer to them so they could keep an eye on me.


"They are such lovely people. They were so upset.

"As far as I know the motorbike rider didn't stop and no police came to take a statement afterwards. Fortunately I was well enough to catch my scheduled British Airways flight home on December 17. It was 14 hours long, but as I was on crutches they checked me in as an assisted passenger. They looked after me really well.

"When I got home I went to see my GP who referred me to the fracture clinic at the PRH."

Following his operation Mr Hutchinson was paid a surprise visit by colleagues Binu George and Gary Cullum, who work with him at New Cross Hospital's urgent care centre in Wolverhampton.

He is also known in the community for an annual head shave at the Pheasant Pub, in Wellington, in aid of MacMillan Cancer Support that raised about £1,800 in 2018.

Deborah Hardiman

By Deborah Hardiman

Senior reporter for the Shropshire Star based out of the head office in Ketley. Covering the Telford area.


Top stories


More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News